[sudo-discuss] Donating a couple of things (mostly construction)

Jake jake at spaz.org
Mon Apr 2 15:51:54 PDT 2018

Thanks Robert,

Please note the important difference between "self-drilling" and "self-tapping"
screws.  Self-drilling screws are for sheetmetal work, and self-tapping screws
can be for wood (or metal but only if the metal has a hole already)

Here is a page to show the difference:
http://www.firstcallautosupply.com/self-drilling-screws-vs.-self-tapping-screws

note that there is some disagreement on this issue by people who are wrong on
the internet, probably encouraged by cavalier use of the terms interchangably.
I won't link to it, but the first google result comes up with an equally
compelling article describing the screws by the exact opposite names.

Personally, I think we should stick with calling the screws that have a
drill-bit on the tip, which drill their own holes, "self-drilling" and the
other screws, which are merely pointy and tap their own threads into an
existing hole, "self-tapping"

"Drywall screws" look like "self-tapping" screws but they have a curved chamfer
under the head for some reason having to do with making drywall look nice, and
they are usually black.

thanks so much for everything but the beer!

-jake