[sudo-discuss] SUDO book scanner lighting parts and files

jacques revera jacquesrevera at gmail.com
Wed Jan 24 10:01:57 PST 2018

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Jonathon Duerig <duerig at tenrec.builders>
Date: Wed, Jan 24, 2018 at 9:01 AM
Subject: Re: Oakland SUDO room purchase quoted lighting parts
To: jacques revera <jacquesrevera at gmail.com>

Sorry for not responding sooner, I'll get you the files in DXF format
today. I've attached them in DWG format to this email (since that is what I
had available without conversion).
Some notes about the design of the light box:

You will need two of each item I sent design files for. The scale of these
files is 1 unit = 1 mm.

If you want to modify the design to better suit your scanner, you will need
to reduce the distance between the lighting module front and lighting
module back. This affects the lighting module sides, the large baffles, and
the LED base plate.

The lighting module sides should be exactly the same, but reduced in width
by whatever is necessary to make it sit on the top of your scanner.

Similarly, the size of the large baffle needs to be reduced by the same
amount along its longest dimension.

The LED base plate is made from FR4. I included it in the shipment to you.
The reason it is FR4 is that it is meant to hold the lights which means
that any heat generated from the lights needs to be accounted for.
Something that is flammable or something that might distort and change
shape when it gets warm are bad choices. FR4 is great because it is both
flame and heat resistant.

The plate I sent will be too long. You could deal with this in two ways.
One way would be to remove the slots on top of the front/back plates and
have it just rest with a bit of overhang.

Another way would be to modify the plate so that it fits. You can cut FR4
with a saw (be careful because it is brittle). You can also drill FR4. So
you could cut it in half, then drill a couple of holes to bolt it back
together as a shorter length. If you do this, be very careful of the dust
generated. FR4 is fiberglass-reinforced. And fiberglass dust is dangerous.

Or if you have access to a waterjet, you could buy a piece of FR4 pretty
cheaply and use the waterjet to cut out a modified piece. If you want to do
this, let me know and I can send you the design file for it. You can't cut
FR4 with a laser AFAIK (heat resistant, flame resistant). And it would be a
bad idea to use a CNC router to cut it out (fiberglass dust is very bad for
you). This is why we pay a shop to cut out the LED base plates in batches
with a waterjet. But it is much more expensive to cut a one-off piece of a
different design.

Or if you don't want to modify the design of the lighting module, the
alternative is to add on to the scanner some pieces that would allow you to
rest the unmodified lighting module on top. I'm not sure how much bigger
the lighting module is. But it could be a 2x4 on each side would provide
enough extra width for example. I haven't had much experience with the
older hackerspace scanners, so I don't know for sure.

---
Jonathon Duerig
Tenrec Builders LLC