[sudo-discuss] Fwd: [dorkbotsf-blabber] A123 Battery Teardowns

Patrik D'haeseleer patrikd at gmail.com
Sat Jan 27 14:35:33 PST 2018

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "John Radio" <johnyradio at gmail.com>
Date: Jan 27, 2018 2:34 PM
Subject: [dorkbotsf-blabber] A123 Battery Teardowns
To: <dorkbotsf-blabber at googlegroups.com>

Hi all

Remember those A123 batteries I posted about, a couple weeks back? I’ve
found people to hold all our batteries. Wow! Thx to everyone who is helping
the Bayview BOOM. Some came from as far away as Chico, to cart away these
packs.

We’ve started to tear down the packs, and would be great to hear *your
suggestions on making the process easier and cheaper.* Please check out the
videos:

https://vimeo.com/252296535

password: M1A

https://youtu.be/MMrPjUwAmT0

Here’s one possible improvement:

*Problem - Removing plastic cover: *We had difficulty removing the plastic
cover. It’s time-consuming, very fiddly/wiggly, and lots of touching on or
near hot contacts.

*Issue*: the plastic “prongs” on the plastic cover must have been inserted
all at once, in a single downward motion, as described by Bob at the
BoxShop teardown.

*Solution: *Therefore, maybe the quickest removal is to somehow *pull the
entire cover straight up, in one motion,* after removing screws, punching
out the tabs, and releasing the nickel and insulator sheet from their
retainer. How to do that? Part of the difficulty is that the cover flexes.
If you pull it up by one end, it bends.

*Ideas:*

·         *Top-plate: *Attach a rigid, non-conductive plate or wooden board
to the loose cover. Pull that straight up. The weight of the pack will
help. Problem: how to pull it straight up? Maybe attach a couple handles?

·         *Bottom-clamp: *Invert the whole pack and lay it upside down,
with the unscrewed cover face down on the table. Then, somehow clamp just
the loose plastic cover to the table. Then pull the rest of the pack
straight up. Problem: it’s heavy.

Seems this approach has a possible added advantage that it might reduce the
amount of touching hot contacts by the human, thereby making this a
possibly safer approach.

-Johny Radio

--
PEOPLE DOING STRANGE THINGS WITH ELECTRICITY
---