[sudo-discuss] Fwd: Opening: Member-Candidacy at Missing Link Bicycle Cooperative

Matt Senate mattsenate at gmail.com
Tue Jul 10 18:47:39 PDT 2018

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/ret/d/member-candidacy-at-
missing/6639964106.html

*Member-Candidacy at Missing Link Bicycle Cooperative*

compensation: *$17/hour, opportunity to join as member-owner at $18/hour*
employment type: *full-time*

Worker-Owned Bike Shop Looking to Hire!

Missing Link Bicycle Cooperative

1988 Shattuck Ave, Berkeley, CA
<https://maps.google.com/?q=1988+Shattuck+Ave,+Berkeley,+CA&entry=gmail&source=g>

workers at missinglink.org

We are especially in need of applicants with strong sales, mechanical, or
business administration skills. An interest in and commitment to
cooperative values goes a very long way.

To apply, please email a cover letter and resume. You are also welcome to
drop off a physical copy in-person. Please highlight relevant experience:

workers at missinglink.org

The Missing Link Bicycle Cooperative was started by a group of UC Berkeley
students in 1971 in the basement of the university's Student Union
building, and incorporated in 1973. Since the beginning we've been worker
owned. And more than 40 years later we're still here!

We come from various backgrounds of the cycling community: we commute, we
race, we tour. We also play other roles in our community since we are
parents, we are students, we are local residents. Ultimately, we all share
an appreciation for bikes, our craft, and the environment. Over the years
some of us come and go, but in the end we run this shop together.

“The Link” is a worker-owned and -run bike shop. All members are co-owners
who receive equal pay and vote at meetings. Member candidates are eligible
to be voted in as a worker-owner in the cooperative after working for 360
hours. Candidates perform best when demonstrating success or improvement on
multiple aspects of working at Link, including: sales, bicycle mechanics
and repair, business administration, cooperative participation, and
creative cooperation.

We're looking for candidates who have a good vibe, are interested in both
listening to and working with a range coworkers and customers. We're
looking for candidates that are emotionally equipped for retail, willing to
spend some of their time on the clock repairing bikes, and who seek a
long-term position. We are looking for someone who is interested in working
creatively and cooperatively with their coworkers and share responsibility
of collectively running a business. Previous experience in retail,
cooperatives, or the bicycle industry is a plus. There are many areas of
business administration performed by co-op members where other skills and
experience may be a plus, from accounting to graphic design.

Link is an inter-generational workplace, with member-owners in their
twenties through seventies. Link encourages women, people of color, and
members of the LGBTIQ community to apply. We are committed to Equal
Opportunity Employment (EOE).

Everyone at Missing Link is paid hourly, all candidates and temporary
employees are paid $17/hour. The wage is increased to $18/hour when
approved as a member-owner.

To apply, please email a cover letter and resume. If you have any
questions, feel free to email.

JOB RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
Customer service in-store and on the phone

Communicating with customers about bicycle products and usage
Selling and ringing out bikes, parts, clothing, accessories, and other
doo-dads
Restocking inventory, facing, and other retail tasks
Cleaning, basic facilities upkeep
Collaborating with repair staff to perform mechanical work to Missing Link
standards
Administrative tasks and roles (includes marketing, accounting, buying,
inventory, etc).
Working on bikes, tune-ups and repairs
Assembling new bikes to Missing Link standards
Energy to work on self-directed work in a collaborative environment

Other duties as needed

(Optional for Candidates, but encouraged):

Participating in collective meetings and participating in decision-making

QUALIFICATIONS:
<3 Love of bikes and the people who ride them <3
Energy for sales, retail, bike repair, store projects, and administration,
Technical and mechanical knowledge of bicycles and products (we can help
you with this part!)

Ability to assemble new bicycles (anyone can learn
Ability to perform repairs (we can help train further if you don’t have
extensive experience!)
Ability to communicate effectively with customers and coworkers from
different backgrounds and to participate in group decision-making process
Good interpersonal skills
A desire to work at Missing Link as a community bicycle shop
Experience with POS systems and other computer applications
Comfortable in a busy work environment

Able to demonstrate integrity and accountability
Able to take initiative and be self-directed; including identifying needs
in the store and making plans to resolve problems
Desire for the responsibilities of business ownership; interest in business
functions and issues
Able to commit to working on a regular schedule between 40 and 25 hours a
week, including one weekend day throughout the year
Strong preference toward candidates with 2+ years repair, retail, or
cooperative experience (in a shop, in a bike kitchen, in a coop or
collective, in a project, in the world)

If this ad is still up we are still hiring. Again, send your resume and a
cover letter about your interest in working at Missing Link Coop:

workers at missinglink.org

msgid/link-members/1531269632.515831771%40mail.missinglink.org
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/link-members/1531269632.515831771%40mail.missinglink.org?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
.