[sudo-discuss] upstairs laser printer

Jake jake at spaz.org
Thu Jul 26 00:22:12 PDT 2018

I have no idea how to figure out why the print server isn't working.

OK i taught myself stuff like how to look into cups (common unix print server)

the printer is fine (visiting http://100.64.64.88/ says it's in power-saving
mode, ready to print)

the server appears OK but never reports errors anyway

the CUPS server is at http://localhost:631/ but it doesn't let me do anything,
and even if it did, it only has the ability to kill one job at a time, and
there are dozens of jobs..

ok eventually, on space (the computer hosting the print server) i ran
sudo cancel -ax Lexmark
and
sudo cupsenable Lexmark
and then shit started eventually working.

does anyone know how to get the machine to accept connections to the cups web
interface?  I can see it thusly:
lynx http://localhost:631

ok i figured it out, change localhost to 0.0.0.0 in /etc/cups/cupsd.conf and
then sudo service cups restart

now we can see the cups page from outside the computer.

tom, can you put the cups server in a frame with the print server?
and also maybe the part of the printer's page at the top, to the right of the
Lexmark logo, where it says present status?  If you feel like it.

http://192.168.42.2:8888
http://192.168.42.2:631

-jake