[sudo-discuss] Steve causing problems at omni/sudoroom

Steve Leach stevenaleach at gmail.com
Sat Mar 10 15:46:20 PST 2018

---> "a ripped and empty envelope which you of course, left behind."

OK! We're finally getting somewhere. Your misunderstanding seems to be the
fact you thought I left. You seem to still be under the impression that I
had left. My laptop was on and still sitting there along with my coffee and
tobacco, I hadn't left for the night - I just had left the room for a
while. You seem to have left a note written to someone who had left all
their paraphernalia on the table ('left behind' as you said). For me,
returning to the place I've been sitting all day before taking a break and
stepping away for an hour or so, and find the note "STEVE: CLEAN UP THIS
TABLE", assuming that you know that I'm still sitting there and that the
presence of my laptop, caffeine, and nicotine supply clearly show that I've
not departed, it is naturally both confusing and perceived as intentionally
rude.

If it was your impression that you were writing a note to some jerk that
"left behind" all their stuff, then perhaps your note was reasonable -
however that was not a situation that existed or would reasonably exist.
And yes, I have also scrubbed both the table in question and the one it is
paired with many times and have scrubbed the big table assembly many times
- no clue how many, it never seemed like a notable event. I've also swept
the space countless times - usually late enough at night  that all
reasonable normal people are gone and I don't disturb others with the
resulting dust clouds.  What I'm not comfortable doing is throwing things
out that I'm not dead sure no one needs, and so I was quite happy that you
had cleared off the table and done the scrap/non-scrap sorting - my usual
method for maintaing those tables involves shifting the accumulated crap
entirely to one, scrubbing the other, swapping and scrubbing again, and
then organizing the stuff that doesn't have a logical space that still
seems like it might be out for a reason. That was temporarily not an option
while the second table was filled with SMT goodies, and I haven't cleaned
them in at least a couple weeks at this point.

Meanwhile: As soon as you posted your complaint yesterday, I find my
keycard no longer functions and can only assume that you took unilateral
action and turned it off. If I am wrong about this, please let me know and
if I am wrong and this is just a random coincidence then I apologize for
"still being shitty", in your words.

So again, if all of this is based on your having had a perception that I
had "left behind" all of my stuff, that I had left for the day, then you
were simply mistaken and I would absolutely agree that if someone were to
do such then that would be an arseholish and unacceptable thing to do.
Fortunately we do not have a problem with anyone doing anything like that.

And I was glad to see the stuff cleared, without having to do it myself and
to worry that I was screwing someone over by throwing out or misplacing
something important - I'd still help try to find anything if someone showed
up panicked because something important was gone that they "know they left
on that table", but I wouldn't have to feel guilty at having inflicted
their problem. With one table instead of two trying to contain the
stochastic drift of parts, it was very much getting absurd and I was
looking forward to seeing the SMT boxes sorted and gone so that I could do
another scrub and reset of both.  In fact both Sierk and I tend to tidy up
at least the big table and major floor scraps when we head out at night
whenever we call it a day at a reasonable hour with functional energy left.
Why? Because we're usually the last ones out and so we're the ones that
should try to minimize the morning mess if possible. It's just what is
reasonable and necessary to do in a shared space.

So: If your note was left out of confusion because you thought I had "left
behind" all of my things for the night, then I apologize for reading undo
hostility into it.  And if you did not unilaterally disable my keycard and
it is just a coincidence, then I apologize for assuming you did so --
always good to check one's assumptions, you know.