[sudo-discuss] New OpenTrons OT-2 in Sudo/CCL!

Patrik D'haeseleer patrikd at gmail.com
Thu Oct 4 03:58:29 PDT 2018

Hi Keoni - do you have any pipettes for the OT-2?

We installed it right on the boundary between CCL and Sudo for now. Once we
start doing real experiments, we should move it into the wetlab though.

We also happen to have a Biometra TRobot, which is essentially a
thermocycler with an automated lid, so it can be easily incorporated into a
liquid handling robot. That should give us an ideal platform for PCR
applications on the Opentrons...

DNA barcoding of mushroom species is probably our #1 killer app for this
robot. When Alan Rockefeller comes back from his current outing throughout
Mexico, he will likely bring several hundred mushroom samples with him, all
of which will need to be submitted to PCR amplification and Sanger
sequencing. Alan usually mashes each sample with a little plastic pestle in
an Eppendorf tube - not sure how to replicate that on the robot, but we
could brainstorm a little device to macerate mushroom samples...

Patrik