[sudo-discuss] [omni-commons] Interview in entrance hall

Jenny Ryan tunabananas at gmail.com
Wed Apr 24 19:52:19 PDT 2019

Yeah, not cool. i don't understand yoir response at all, yar? maybe there's
a miscommunication here?

Lots of groups have booked common space for film shoots through the normal
process (which includes vetting the nature of the event for alignment),
contributing financially and with proper protocols established (such as no
recording anyone without their permission, signage, awareness of other
things happening in the building, etc). Letting friends of former members
(as this sounds to be) feel entitled to free unscheduled use of space with
no agreement/contract *is* precisely the kind of "elitism" Steve was
haranguing omninoms about, which those of us involved in booking and
scheduling the space have been very self-examining of and working hard to
avoid especially over these past 2 years.

And yes, Commons and Finance still need to have this convo, but for-profit
/ unsponsored use of the space, even one time, renders that space taxable
for the year. Our property taxes are $25-30k/yr (about a fifth of our
annual income) and we havent gotten any feedback on our exemption yet.
Tender times. We've been waiting for feedback from the assessor to have
that fully-informed convo - the County's fiscal year is July-June, so any
changes in our booking processes should take shape before June to count
toward our 2019-20 property tax exemption.. Probably will be in our
interest to have _only_ nonprofit/sponsored events in the entrance hall as
it's hella square footage. CCL, sudo, liblens, upstairs offices etc are all
exempt areas.