[sudo-discuss] new proposal - need input

Jenny Ryan tunabananas at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 17:48:47 PST 2019

To clarify, as these "miscommunications" continue to circulate:

On Mon, Jan 21, 2019 at 8:16 PM Yardena Cohen <yardenack at gmail.com> wrote:

> They're not asking for "free rent forever" - I don't even know where
> people are getting that idea. Please read the proposal again - they're
> offering to continue paying as much as they're able, up to 50% of
> their budget, with the understanding that this would settle any
> outstanding debts.

Of course that's what they're asking for - there's no end date on this
proposal. But more to the point, a percentage doesn't work as we have no
way of knowing or tracking how much that is, as they are not fiscally
sponsored by Omni. Or you're asking more hours of the Treasurer (ahem) to
track down financial reporting from their fiscal sponsor. I'm not
interested in taking on more Omni Finance labor right now.

> Robb, are you talking about the "Out of the Blue" event which is
> specifically mentioned in the email you forwarded, which they say was
> a miscommunication which they're willing to move on from?

I'm sure happy to move on from, given that it was a blatant attempt at
embezzlement.

If we're talking about good faith, the most important aspect IMO is
> the ASSUMPTION of good faith. That means when someone tells you what
> they can afford, don't accuse them of lying based on snap judgements
> about their clothes, or of secretly hiding donations because they're
> fiscally sponsored by someone else, or of embezzling money just
> because someone else "completed the contract" for an event, or of
> "holding back-rent as a carrot gift" when they're clearly just trying
> to settle their debts in whatever way possible.

It was not "completing the contract" - it was outright editing the contract
after it was signed and the invoice paid, to say "$1000 goes to GCEA back
rent" after it had been entirely negotiated, written up, and signed by Joe
and the event renter (who never mentioned any ties to GCEA).

There has not been any attempt to settle debts, and there won't be that I
can foresee. That's the carrot. It's a gimme to the delegates to make this
sound like a reasonable proposal.