[sudo-discuss] new proposal - need input

Jenny Ryan tunabananas at gmail.com
Fri Feb 8 12:54:05 PST 2019

I've been willing to participate in a mediation process, but only if
facilitated by third-party professionals and with a specified cap on how
many hours it will take.

I also firmly believe in all of those values and that mission, which I've
tirelessly supported for years now.
We're having the conversation on the thread so those who can't make it to
delegates meetings can participate.
I don't think locking a room without consent, which is what has actually
happened already (and indeed, we'd had the conversation before and
delegates were resistant to the idea) upholds access and transparency.
I'd like to discuss the real problems of not adhering to agreements,
dishonesty in communications, repeated violation of our basic processes -
rather than the hypothetical of "omni is broken" and "people" don't come to
omni because "racism" - Almaz' go-to whenever anyone disagrees with her or
attempts to hold her accountable for a broken agreement.
I find that everybody else in our delegates committee and day-to-day in the
building *does* collaborate as a community. I don't snub Almaz - I still
find things she needs if she's setting something up, and we rushed to clean
up our last BYOI event in under an hour because (yet again) she'd booked
her event over ours (which Sudo Mesh had discussed at length with Commons
openly, paid for at the normal rate, and signed a contract) - but the crew
just hustled to clean up while also going the extra mile in helping set up
for GCEA.

I'm a human being expressing my judgment of what I've seen go down
repeatedly for years. I am not an automaton just because I do the books,
though I have thought of ways to separate out the basic reporting of a
bookkeeper from my position as a community member:

Unfortunately, bookkeeping and dealing with bureaucracy are things that
never seems to just get picked up by a volunteer in the cheerful spirit of
do-ocracy. To continue diminishing this side of the labor is to put the
organization and the building at risk of debt, loss of 501c3 status (which
directly impacts Sudo Room, Liberated Lens, BAPS, Global Women's Strike,
The Village, Safer DIY Spaces, and the new art project by First They Came
For The Homeless, and all future requests for fiscal sponsorship), legal
risk to members and property forfeiture. See the proposal I just submitted;
I'm proposing to do this in a professional capacity so my reporting and due
diligence can be separated from my engagement as a community member and
volunteer.

I for one no longer feel safe coming to delegates meetings after being
personally attacked at the last for pointing out abject lies. I would hope
the ideological manipulation going on here would be tempered by direct
experience of other longtime members of the community.