[sudo-discuss] The horror of housing

Autonomous autonomous666 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 25 11:55:29 PDT 2019

A while back I had a discussion with Matt Senate about the declining number
of Sudoroom members. His comment was that the single biggest factor in his
view was the lack of affordable housing which he referred to as the "horror
of housing".

This week in Marin county a homeless encampment near me in San Rafael was
razed to the ground by a gasoline-can wielding arsonist. The police posted
a "campsite warning notice" 3 days prior to the attack, then went on to say
that there is nothing they could do about it because a of a recent federal
ruling. This situation caused a near uproar among Marin county residents on
sites such as Nextdoor.

The victim of the arson attack Damain stated that he was sieeping inside a
structure with his girlfriend when he heard a thump on the roof and a
whoosh of the structure erupting in flames. He was barely able to escape
and pull his girlfriend from the fire. When the fire department arrived
they took no action to put out the fire. The police were laughing at
Damian's girlfriend who was wearing nothing but her underwear and was
wrapped in a blanket. The emergency responders did not check the victims to
see if they were suffering from burns or smoke inhalation. Afterwards the
police said that fires start at homeless campsites all the time and that
Damian should consider moving on.

Since the camp is nearby our sanctuary in Marin I saw the site before and
after the attack and took a video of one of the victims: Solution to
homelessness in Marin County - arson and attempted murder?
<https://youtu.be/FT4KFUzY2UU>

Here is a link to an article that came out today in the MarinIJ:
https://www.marinij.com/2019/06/24/san-rafael-police-investigate-encampment-fire/

I am currently working with an ee engineer in the area to deploy sensors on
the site and have delivered supplies and clothing to the victims.