[sudo-discuss] how to speed up a video file and reduce its size?

Jake jake at spaz.org
Fri Nov 6 14:46:53 PST 2020

the computer i was doing these experiments on had a failed hard drive and got
taken out of service and now the corporation is going through a failure
analysis process to study how hard drives fail at high temperatures.

I have advised that the recording system be reconfigured to save data at the
target framerate rather than do transcoding, since the latter seems
impractical.

but i'll bring updates when i have them

On Fri, 6 Nov 2020, hol at gaskill.com wrote:

> How did this turn out?? Before seeing this thread I was trying to think up a
> good way to compress raw raster data coming off a photogrammetry drone and
> just dropping all but one frame per second seemed like the best idea.
>
> On 2020-10-09 3:49 pm, Sean Greenslade wrote:
>> On Fri, Oct 09, 2020 at 01:11:12PM -0700, Jake wrote:
>>> OMG thank you so much, this is great help everyone!!!
>>>
>>> some operations take a long time and some are quicker, i'm trying to hone
>>> in on
>>> the ones that are quick and dirty, rather than re-encoding everything.
>>> It's so
>>> hard to understand the documentation!!!
>>
>> Yeah, FFMPEG can be pretty intimidating. Unfortunately, in the case of
>> doing time lapses, you almost certainly need to re-encode the video. The
>> one exception would be if your desired speedup exactly matches the rate of
>> i-frames in the source video. Then you could make a custom script that
>> just dropped all the p-frames. I have some code that could probably be
>> adapted for that if you're interested.
>>
>>> I'll try these commands and take notes on what works and what doesn't.
>>> Feel
>>> free to let me know if you're interested in the results!
>>
>> Yeah, show us!
>>
>>> one thing i've been working with is that i'm doing concatenation at the
>>> same
>>> time... so much obscure arcane procedure that you just find on the web and