[sudo-discuss] Membership and Sudo Room Space

Jake jake at spaz.org
Wed Sep 23 16:23:56 PDT 2020

Hi Dane,

People should not go to Sudoroom for non-essential purposes or spend any amount
of time there, in my opinion.  Until things change, the best thing we can do to
preserve our hackerspace is to avoid going there and avoid causing gatherings
there.

Fortunately, this email list and the IRC chat and our community in general are
still here and very valuable, and we are all here for each other.

If they want to be a part of Sudoroom, they should join this email list and
also maybe get on IRC (which unfortunately is not super active these days) and
they should also sign up for monthly donations!  Our expenses are ongoing and
unfortunately income has dropped.  They don't need to be a "member" to be a
supporter!

https://sudoroom.org/donate

If they want your help with their laptop and/or SD card, you should think about
meeting with them in a place of your choosing and according to COVID safety
considerations.  If you have access to a backyard with patio furniture, or
maybe they have those things, that seems relatively safe to me, if you're both
wearing masks.  Then you can work on things together!  If you want to increase
distance a little more, you can use an external monitor on the computer and
"mirror" the display so that each person has their own screen, rather than one
person looking (and breathing) over the other person's shoulder.

As for technical support with whatever you're doing, you can email here, and
maybe coordinate on timing with whomever wants to collaborate with you on this
project.  Either way it's always great to work with another hacker and involve
your community.

But ultimately, my advice is for people to connect here on the email list, and
on the above-linked donation page, and connect with us on other platforms
safely for now.

Let me know if i can help!

-jake