[sudo-discuss] seeking an energy-efficient, reliable PC with 2+ ethernet

Ed Biow biow at riseup.net
Mon May 3 23:54:49 PDT 2021

 5/3/21 5:41 PM, Jake wrote:
> omni needs at least one low-power PC (not a laptop though) to use as a
> router
> for the building.  If we get more than one, the second will be used
for the
> "sandbox" which is a computer that members can use for experiments and
> projects
> at the space (without worrying about breaking the main router for the
> building)
>
> so, if you have a decently modern, energy-efficient PC motherboard (with
> CPU)
> and at least 4GB of RAM, and it's reliable and working, we'd love to
> have it!
>
> it's OK if it doesn't have an enclosure, we can swap it into something.
> Although a rack-mount enclosure would be ideal (although we'll need to add
> ethernet cards if it doesn't already have at least two ports)
>
> -jake

Jake, you could snag one or more of the 2nd floor public machines, they
are mostly low energy Celeron J1800 machines, but they would require a
second ethernet port, but I could order a PCI-E gig ethernet card for
about $10.

https://www.newegg.com/Network-Interface-Cards/SubCategory/ID-27?Order=1

The public machines have SSDs and at least 4GB of RAM. There was also a
J1800 in the basement, but I understand it has been moved, but hopefully
not thrown away.  I think there are 5 boxen in the public area on the
second floor, but I've never seen more than 3 of them in use at any one
time & I can replace them in any case once the Omni opens up again.

If you prefer a mini computer I retired a ZBOX-CI323NANO box as my local
server last month and replaced it with a newer mini box celeron
computer. The ZBOX is currently my kennel computer, which is convenient,
because that is where I'm living these days, since Einstein can't handle
the stairs anymore, but I have other machines I can use instead.

It was reliable, but has about 5 years of always-on history. It has 2
ethernet ports and 8 Gb of DDR3-L and I can throw in a SSD.

https://www.zotac.com/us/product/mini_pcs/zbox-ci323-nano#spec

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/Intel-Celeron-N3150-vs-Intel-Celeron-J1800/2546vs2167

These options are all 5-6 years old, I don't know if that qualifies as
decently modern.

ZBOX-CI323NANO

root at sid:/home/ed# inxi
CPU: Quad Core Intel Celeron N3150 (-MCP-) speed/min/max: 705/480/2080 MHz
Kernel: 5.10.0-6-amd64 x86_64 Up: 1h 36m Mem: 5002.7/7959.5 .0 MiB (31.

    Processor
    Intel N3150 quad-core 1.6GHz, up to 2.08GHz

    Chipset
    Intel
    System Memory
    2 x 204-pin DDR3L-1600 SO-DIMM slots (up to 8GB)

Graphics

    Graphics Engine
    Intel HD Graphics
    Video Output
    HDMI, DisplayPort, VGA

Storage

    Hard Drive
    1 x 2.5 inch SATA SSD/HDD slot

    mSATA

    Card Reader
    3-in-1 (SD/SDHC/SDXC)

I/O Ports

    Audio
    Stereo output
    Loss-less Bitstream via HDMI
    Combo mini-optical S/PDIF / analog stereo
    USB Port
    1 x USB 3.0 type-C (front)
    2 x USB 3.0 (1 front, 1 back)
    2 x USB 2.0 (back)

    LAN
    2 x 10/100/1000Mbps

Antenna
Yes
Wifi
802.11ac
Bluetooth
4.0

If God is watching us the least we can do is be entertaining.
Unfortunately it is also probably the most we can do.

Edmund Joseph Biow
328 Haddon Road
Oakland, California 94606
(510) 763-0591 (try first, messages checked in morning, dumb phone, no
caller ID, leave number)
(415) 623-6473 (cell)

EMAIL:
biow at sonic.net - biow at riseup.net - biow at sonic.net - ejbiow at gmail.com -
ebiow at yasashi.net

IM: ejbiow at gmail.com

To subscribe or unsubscribe to the lists I moderate send an email to the
following:

Subscribe:
occupyoakland-subscribe at lists.riseup.net
occupyoaklanddiscuss-subscribe at lists.riseup.net
oaklandprivacyworkinggroup-subscribe at lists.riseup.net
oaklandpublicbank-subscribe at lists.riseup.net
occupyoaklandkitchen-subscribe at lists.riseup.net
oaklandlivablewagediscussion-subscribe at lists.riseup.net

Unsubscribe:

   (\__/)  .~    ~. ))
   /O O  ./      .'
  {O__,   \    {
    / .  . )    \
    |-| '-' \    } ))      Warning squirrels:
   .(   _(   )_.'         Einstein is on the prowl.
  '---.~_ _ _&
You can use a PGP key to encrypt and secure our messages. To start using
it, you'll need to install an OpenPGP software on your computer.  Below
you'll find a list of possible solutions for your operating system:

Windows: Kleopatra (http://gpg4win.de/download.html)Linux: GnuPG
(https://www.gnupg.org/download/supported_systems.html)
OS X: GPG Keychain (https://gpgtools.org/#gpgsuite)
Linux: GnuPG (https://www.gnupg.org/related_software/frontends.html)
Android: OpenKeychain
(https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.sufficientlysecure.keychain)
iOS: iPGMail (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ipgmail/id430780873?mt=8)

Once you set up PGP on your computer please import my public key into
your local OpenPGP Key-Manager. The valid PGP keys for my
biow at cubasoldarity.net & biow at riseup.net accounts can be downloaded
here: http://ebiow.yasashi.net/pgp/

An "easy" way to set up PGP on your computer is to download the free &
open sources Thunderbird email client (available on Linux, Windohs &
O$X) & install the EnigMail Add-On.
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/all.html
https://www.enigmail.net/download/
https://www.enigmail.net/documentation/quickstart-ch1.php

Looking forward to exchange snooping-free messages with you & making the
NSA spend mondo bucks to discover the secret of my bube's kartofel kugel
recipe.