[sudo-prints] brother printer, cancelling jobs

Jake jake at spaz.org
Sun May 18 23:35:12 PDT 2014

so i tried to edit the wiki page for the brother printer, here:

https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Brother_HL-2270DW

i wanted to put in a prominent thing called "HELP! how do i stop it
printing stuff nobody wants?" and i sortof did, but i didn't know what the
proper instructions were.

the other day, it was spitting out a million copies of something that
someone tried to print earlier, while the network was down.

we tried turning off the printer and waiting, but it would just start
right back up when we turned it back on - printing on both sides of nice
blank white paper.

I went to the printer's control page at http://192.168.1.8 but it wouldn't
allow me to do anything with the user login, and the admin login was
unknown so i couldn't try that.

then i emptied the print spool on the computer that the jobs had come
from, with lprm - to cancel all jobs (and there were several) but it
didn't seem to have any effect.

this is the nightmare that comes with WIRELESS networked printers.  that
is, if you think printing on both sides of papers until the printer
decides it's done (how many times did the person try to print before
giving up?) is a nightmare.

i wish printers had an "expire jobs" setting so that they wouldn't try to
print stale jobs from hours ago.

so... can someone put instructions on the wiki on cancelling print jobs?

thank you
-jake