[sudo-prints] TAZ 3d printer fixed

Jake jake at spaz.org
Tue May 13 23:25:58 PDT 2014

wrought brought in the replacement resistor sent by LulzBot, which came
with a couple of crimp thingies to make the connection.  I used them
(although i was not impressed with their crimpiness and i worry they might
fail) and i put heatshrink over them (and mylar tape on one) to insulate
them.

i installed the new resistor with aluminum foil as a spacer, which made it
fit very snugly.  according to lulzbot nothing is needed as a spacer,
which I think is ridiculous.  with no spacer, the resistor is loose in the
hole, which would explain why it burned out.

i uploaded the "new" firmware to the machine according to the instructions
from lulzbot.  my arduino program told me that the upload failed, but the
LCD of the machine says it has the latest firmware, and talking to it over
serial it says that the firmware was compiled tonight, so apparently the
upload didn't fail.

it's printing an octopus now, in black, from the giant spool installed in
the wall above the desk.  It's about 3mm high now and should finish
nicely.  the TAZ is fixed.

-jake