[sudo-sys] Slow internet

Charley Sheets rcsheets at acm.org
Wed Aug 5 00:40:20 PDT 2015

On Tue, 4 Aug 2015 17:36:55 -0700
Marc Juul <juul at labitat.dk> wrote:

> I ordered another 1000' roll of cat5e outdoor shielded cable which
> should arrive on Friday. Daniel talked about re-running this on
> Saturday so I will try to ensure that it is at sudo room before
> Saturday morning. It's probably a good idea to ground this cable at
> both ends. I like to ground stuff by making a three-prong AC plug
> that only has the ground wire (though I know that's not the
> "professional" way of doing things).

How confident are we in the ground at each end of the run? Is the
existing cabling shielded and grounded at both ends? If we're going to
ground both ends of the run, let's make sure we're not making a
significant ground loop.

I don't know nearly enough about the electrical service at Omni to have
an opinion on whether a ground loop is likely, and I'm definitely not a
pro at this kind of thing, but I think if you stop just short of
hooking it up and measure the current through the drain wire, as long
as it's reasonably low you're in good shape.

I don't do a lot with shielded twisted pair though, so if I'm confused,
please correct me. :)

--
Charley Sheets