[sudo-sys] Gateway dead, Private network down

Marc Juul marc at juul.io
Sun Jun 9 20:54:35 PDT 2019

The gateway has been replaced with a desktop computer sitting on its
side in the rack on top of the multi-hd storage server. Note that this
is super janky since the two PCI network cards can't be mounted
properly in the somewhat-smaller-than-standard case.

We added two network cards and were planning to use the built-in card
as well, but currently the built-in card is not used and the private
network is down. There are two reasons:

* The switch used for the private network had one of its fans die and
I turned it off until we can replace the fan so it won't overheat
* The built-in network card appears to need firmware which I'm not
going to bother with until the fan on the private network switch is
replaced

Also, we might get a new server rather than using this old desktop machine.

The new computer is using the old harddrive. I changed the following
files due to the different names of the network interfaces:

/etc/network/interfaces
/etc/default/isc-dhcp-server
/etc/iptables/rules.v4
/etc/iptables/rules.v6

You can find backups of the files from before my changes at the same
paths with .old added (for the parent dir for /etc/iptables)

--
marc/juul