[sudo-sys] Mumble

Charles E. Lehner cel at celehner.com
Sat Apr 18 17:08:42 PDT 2020

On Sat, 18 Apr 2020 15:34:03 -0700
Yardena Cohen <yardenack at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 16, 2020 at 8:42 AM Charles E. Lehner <cel at celehner.com>
> wrote:
> > Dear sudo-sys,
> > I set up a Mumble server for Sudo Room. It is running uMurmur on
> > Sudo Room's saros machine, and is reachable at address
> > room.sudorom.org.
>
> That's cool but why does it have to be on our router, vs one of the
> other machines?

The router has IPv6. room.sudoroom.org has both an A record and AAAA record. If the router forwards the port to another machine for IPv4 only, clients may connect unsuccessfully to the IPv6 address first before connecting to the IPv4 address. This adds a significant delay during connection since Mumble seems to not connect to both addresses simultaneously but waits for one to time out before connecting to the other.