[sudo-sys] Mumble

Charles E. Lehner cel at celehner.com
Fri Apr 24 08:05:31 PDT 2020

Hi Yar,

On Sat, 18 Apr 2020 20:08:42 -0400
"Charles E. Lehner" <cel at celehner.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 18 Apr 2020 15:34:03 -0700
> Yardena Cohen <yardenack at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Apr 16, 2020 at 8:42 AM Charles E. Lehner <cel at celehner.com>
> > wrote:
>  [...]
> >
> > That's cool but why does it have to be on our router, vs one of the
> > other machines?
>
> The router has IPv6. room.sudoroom.org has both an A record and AAAA
> record. If the router forwards the port to another machine for IPv4
> only, clients may connect unsuccessfully to the IPv6 address first
> before connecting to the IPv4 address. This adds a significant delay
> during connection since Mumble seems to not connect to both addresses
> simultaneously but waits for one to time out before connecting to the
> other.

Should umurmur not be on the router? Or do you have concerns about it that I could address? Originally I was going to put Murmur on space.local, but then I discovered the IPv6 connection timeout issue. To go back to that way, I see two options:
1. space gets an IPv6 address routed by saros. Then saros can forward the mumble port to it over both IPv4 and IPv6. Or,
2. a new subdomain is added with just the A record, no AAAA record. Then connections to it will not fail because of the missing IPv6.

Or a third combo option:
- space gets an IPv6 address routed by saros. Add a new subdomain with A record same as room.sudoroom.org but AAAA record is to space. Then IPv6 DNAT is not needed.

Using IPv6 is a plus I think. I actually get slightly lower ping times to room.sudoroom.org over IPv6 than IPv4 from New York - probably because I am using a HE.net tunnel too. But being fully remote, I'm not sure I want to set up IPv6 routing and risk messing things up without being physically there to fix it.

Regards,
Charles