[Tmpcommonsnet] Notes from Network Commons License mtg @ IS4CWN2013

Jenny Ryan tunabananas at gmail.com
Thu Oct 3 13:04:31 PDT 2013

Greetings comrades!

A pleasure to participate in a most excellent roundtable discussion moving
toward a network commons license this evening at c-base!

Here are the notes off the etherpad, for documentation and sharing with our
friends across the pond. I will also shortly start a thread for a round of
introductions :-)

-------

This pad is meant to just as an index. Discussions must be kept in
individual pads

(tmp) mailing list
    http://lists.sudoroom.org/listinfo/tmpcommonsnet

name
    http://etherpad.guifi.net/L2-org-name

vision and mission
    http://etherpad.guifi.net/L2-mission

initial pad THAT MUST BE REWORKED
    http://etherpad.guifi.net/C4EU-orgs

    pls send any update, no matter from where

*) international organisations
    ISOC
    RIRs (e.g. RIPE-NCC, )

*) international actions
    lobbyingg
    policy making

*) license

*) network map
    to have a big picture

*) define what a CN is
    => which/who can be accepted at the L2org
FNF proposal: https://commons.thefnf.org/index.php/Free_network_definition
0. Freedom to participate and to make others participate
    L2 access vs L3 access => access the network vs peering with the
network => joining th commons vs extending the commons
1. Freedom to communicate using the network for any purpose without
interception or interference - and free of charge
2, The freedom to modify and improve the network, including the ability to
access, author and distribute information about how the network  functions.
? non-(private?)-profit with the network itself
    not really sure if this must be at this level (could/should be placed
in the licence)
    Fair profit [guifi] - can be legally enforced
    Transit inside the network should be free
    Guifinet: Difference between Network and content. Access to the
Internet is content
    internally must be free. to get outside might be charged
    Precaution that we maintain actual freedom - problem with Creative
COmmons is that much that is licensed under CC is not actually free
(non-commercial)

Additional concerns (very likely not to go to the def/license but as
recommendations)
    The freedom to know the ecologial impact of the hardware?
    The right to ask for the information about the hardware?
    fairness as a restriction?
    running free software?
    distribured property (multistakeholder)
        is not a request, but it is recommended
Cannot charge a fee to interconnect the commons.

Access to knowledge as a fundamental principle:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Access_to_knowledge_movement

Three themes here:
Free Network
Community Network - owned by the community
Profit / Non-profit

overlay net. vs physical net
    we are talking about phy
    what about mixed overlay+phy networks (e.g. fon)?

difference between the picopeer agr and our efforts

*)*) licence
FNF proposal
http://commons.thefnf.org/index.php/Network_Commons_License
  creative-commons-like incremental license proposed by Mitar at Oakland (?)
suggestion: confront with statistics of CC in terms for flavours used
  examples of additional clauses:
   - free software only
   - ecological footprint
   - not for profit
   - owned by the users?

Membership
???

=Action Items=
* Isaac: Take 'owned by its users' out of the preamble
* Annemarie will pass around suggestions for legal frameworks
* Isaac: compare the picopeer agr and our def
* roger: rewrites these notes and sends them to the ml
* christian: contacts a RIPE college
* jenny: send notes to the list

-------
Jenny