[Tmpcommonsnet] Free Network Definition vs Pico Peering Agreement

Marc Juul juul at labitat.dk
Mon Oct 14 22:21:42 PDT 2013

On Mon, Oct 14, 2013 at 4:57 PM, Isaac Wilder <isaac at freenetworkmovement.org
> wrote:

> At the meeting in Berlin, I offered to do a more in-depth analysis of how
> the
> current draft of the Free Network Definition compares to the long-standing
> Pico
> Peering Agreement.
>
> I've been travelling and settling back in at home, so I apologize for the
> delay.
> Here goes.
>
> Relevant documents live here:
> https://commons.thefnf.org/index.php/Free_network_definition
> and here:
> http://www.picopeer.net/PPA-en.html
>
> Before getting into nitty gritties, I want to give my impressions at a
> higher
> altitude. I think the design goals of the documents are fairly disparate.
> The
> PPA, I think was intended to act as a governance document. Almost a middle
> ground between the FND and the NCL. In large part, I think that trying to
> do two
> things at once means that neither one gets done particularly well. Many of
> the
> provisos in the PPA *do* have a place in the NCL, imo. For that reason,
> it's a
> little bit odd comparing it just to the Free Network Definition. Still,
> interesting.
>
> Perhaps the preamble of the PPA says it best: "This document is an attempt
> connect those network islands by providing the minimum baseline template
> for a
> peering agreement between owners of individual network nodes - the Pico
> Peering
> Agreement."
>
> That is not the objective of the FND. The (modified) preamble to the FND
> states:
> "Our intention is to build communications systems that function as a
> commons. We
> call such systems 'free networks' and they are characterized by the
> following
> three freedoms." (Note that we're not trying to enable actual
> interconnection
> with this document, only an understanding of what free networks *are*).
>
> Okay. so.
>
> I think the following items from the PPA:
> -The owner agrees to provide free transit accross their free network.
> -The owner agrees to publish the information necessary for peering to take
> place.
> -The service can be scaled back or withdrawn at any time with no notice
>
> relate to the following from the FND:
> The Freedom to participate in the network, and to allow others to do the
> same.
>
> Major salient difference here is that the PPA offers absolutely no
> guarantee of
> any kind that folks will be able to join/expand the network. Only that if
> they
> [...]

Thanks for the comments Isaac. This helped me better understand what you're
trying to do with the Free Network Definition. I definitely think that each
freedom in the FND needs an explanation. Specifically, it is not at all
intuitive what the difference between participation and communication is
(freedom 0 and 1). These at least need to be explained, but it would be
better if we could word them so they don't need an explanation.

The problem seems to be with the word "participate", but I'm having trouble
coming up with a good alternative.

Here's another idea. What if we were to define three levels of
participation? Here's my take on it.

0. Freedom to physically connect to the network and to allow others to do
the same.
1. Freedom to send and receive data and have it be fairly routed through
the network, for any purpose, without interception or interference
2. Freedom to route network traffic, fairly, as part of the network and
allow others to do the same.
3. The freedom to modify, expand and improve the network, including the
ability to access, author, remix and distribute information about how the
network functions

What do you think?

--
Marc