A hackpack is a backpack with a set of "always carry" tools for hacking the world around us.
We are starting a project at sudo room to create ~$25 base hackpacks with optional expansion packs.
Target price <= $30
This is only an initial possible version. It may be too electronics-focused. Comments/changes welcome.
- A backpack (get from thrift store and wash at high temp)
- Soldering iron (should be 30 watts)
- Set of small screwdrivers (at least philips and flat-head)
- Needle-nose pliers
- Diagonal wire-cutters (these will probably suck, but maybe we can sharpen them?)
- Larger screw-driver with assortment of bits
- USB to 3.3v serial adapter
- Assortment of resistors
- Small assortment of diodes, caps, mosfets, buttons, switches, LEDs
- Female to female pin header cables (like these)
- Some male-male and female-male pin headers
- USB stick (2 GB minimum) with bootable Linux and lots of libre books / learning materials.
- List of where to buy more of everything
- List of other awesome things to add to hackpack, what they do and where to buy
- Wire of different colors and thicknesses
- Duct tape
- Yerba mate tea
Dead-tree versions of $1 to $3 essential hacker works, e.g:
- Cryptonomicon, Snow Crash or The Diamond Age by Neal Stephenson
- Little Brother by Cory Doctorow
- please add more
Mackenzie is working on this. Current target is $5.
Some things that may go in the pack:
- Scissors - $1 at dollar store
- Sewing needles
- Tailors chalk
- Conductive thread
- Instruction manual/booklet
- Small glue gun
- Glue sticks
- Electricians tape
Target price: $16
- A rtl-sdr compatible usb adapter (like [http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-RTL-SDR-DVB-T-HDTV-SDR-Dongle-Elonics-RTL2832U-E4000-Antenna-50MHz-2200-MHz-/181254905941?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a33a26055 this one)
Target price: $30
- A dual-radio OpenWRT compatible router
- Instructions on how to flash with sudowrt firmware and do interesting things like spectrum analysis.
Mate anywhere kit
Make tea and stay awake anywhere!
Target price: $10