Meeting Notes 2013-06-19

From Sudo Room
Revision as of 14:15, 25 June 2013 by Tunabananas (talk | contribs) (Uploaded Meeting Minutes)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Check out the Meeting archives here: How to use this agenda draft: Please substitute items in [ ] with text for this particular meeting June 19 2013 Attending: [List Attendees] Len, Jenny, Max, Jordan, Bill, Ray, Timon, Marina, Jamie, Alex, Morten, Troy, Sarah, Sam


Let's get to know each other! Co-Facilitator: [List Co-Facilitator]

  • Introduction to purpose and format of this meeting

Brief personal intros (< 20 sec per person)

  • [Go-around topic]

Icebreaker (10 min)

  • [Pair/small group discussion on a topic.]

Announcements (Consent Agenda)

Use this section to briefly announce and consent to items that need no more details or discussion Co-Facilitator: [List Co-Facilitator] (< 8 minutes)

    This Sat/Sun: Workshop Weekend!
   Patrick - clay. Marina and Hilary - computer in a box.
   They still need volunteers! Volunteers get to attend workshops for free.
   Cryptoparty debrief
   30-35 people!
   lots of stuff installed!
   good teacher to learner ratio.
   two sections: email security (pgp keys) and mobile security (apps to secure phone messages etc.). also presentations about tor and anonymity vs encryption.
   what was the advertising strategy?
   DM on twitter to OO and they retweeted
   physical flyers all around
   for future events:
   more advanced planning would bring more people
   better pitch asking for donations for sudo
   Sudo Kids: Any interest in coordinating further on Tues. nights?
   Sudo-POSSE Party in cooperation with BACE Timebank.  3rd Fridays avalable? , first one in July.
  (Potluck Orientation Skillshare Swapmeet Event)- Lets invite public school, democracy project, oakland-wiki,... for a Meta Networking Event?
   Sunday June 9 @ 7pm - Cleaning of Natural Decay 
    Use (ask Matt for admin access) 
    Tweet any space details @sudoroom 
    Interested  in more inter-hackerspaces collab? Join Open Hack  Night every Monday  at 7pm @LOL (1234 23rd Avenue, San Antonio (east  Oakland)).   LOL is a  POC, Queer and Women-organized hackerspace. It is  radically    inclusive--EVERYONE is a desired member! Their organizers  want us to  do   more stuff at each others' spaces. :] :]  
    BACH event debrief: June 15th @ Noisebridge
    BACH info:
    Sudo Bike - ask Matt about borrowing it for a set period of time, or for donations to "Sudo Bike" 
   Every Thurs. at 7PM: Oakland Wiki meetup!
   Editathon at MLK Cafe
    sign up for a slot at
    contact marina for training, or test out the documentation:
   Counter Culture Labs (formerly known as East Bay BioHackers) - planning  meeting last Friday, updates?


Use this section to review old tasks and propose new tasks. Keep topics brief - if topics are large, they can spillover into later discussion, after-meeting small group discussion, listserv discussion, or next meeting discussion Co-Facilitator: [List Co-Facilitator] (< 30 mins)

Old Action Items:

   Door Access: Current status and next steps
   Document  process for editing access codes & whether it's possible to have  temporary access codes (Andrew) - Marina will follow up with Andrew
   Add robots.txt for sudo room (open item for anyone to take on) MATT
   Not done - Find out who has the key to the cash box :) (Marina)
   Ray will spearhead putting together curriculum for youth in the community - Bill suggests a workshop on security
   Jenny  will start a spreadsheet for churches, schools, and other community  groups that we can do outreach to for people to sign up to meet with  specific organizations.
   Tim will share the map of potential properties available for purchase.
   Jenny will write to School Factory about sponsorship opportunities.

New Action Items:

  • Jenny to call bank to find out about online access
  • Max to coordinate further with RPS
  • EVERYONE: CLEAN and encourage others to clean! Model good behavior and suggest cleaning to other people. It is our responsibility to help everyone in our community grow in their ability to act cooperatively :D
  • RE: School Factory. Mitch indicated that they were maybe not able to keep their space, so it's unclear whether they would still be able to fiscally sponsor us.

Postponed: items here are not for discussion, only for reference for later meetings so that we don't forget about them :)

  • [Postponed] Talk to Danny O'Brien, intro from JC to Jordan, invite him to come to a future sudo meeting to share insight!
    • Straight to the source--but out of the country :( Will be back later this month and Jordan will follow up then.
  • [Postponed until necessary] Eddan - Reference letter from George
  • [Postponed until necessary] Jenny sync with Troy on library - Not yet but they will
  • Set up date for label-printing organizing of stuff event - Jenny!1 -troy
    • still need to set a date
  • [Postponed until someone throws Romy a massive love bomb] Romy to lead diagram for Articles of Association amendment
  • Romy to work with Troy to turn the articles into a flow diagram. Diagrams and drawings of sudo room members being passed around.
  • [Postponed until ?] Add articles to github (gitorious!!!!!!!? - - Yardena is going to put these articles up

Fiscal Solvency

In this section we review our current financial situation and budget, approve monthly budgets, and discuss any other finance-related issues. Exchequer: We need a new exchequer Co-Facilitator: [List Co-Facilitator]

   Setting up co-exchequers
   The future of the ex-chequer (items suggested from 5/29 meeting):
    New exchequer (tasks): 
    Get on bank account 
    Follow up on deposits made 
    Presents budget during meetings 
    Coordinates with scribe to make budget available to all members [transparency] 
    Determine if per-member dues can be reduced 
    Forecasting longer-term budget 
   Exchequer tasks that could easily be done do-acraticly: 
    Coordinate new ways of paying 
    Investigate alternative sources of income 
    Encourage donations 
    Infographics? Coordinate with Romy :D
   Bank  Links
   Documentation: (out of date?)
   Update information about login to bank (might make this private)

(20 mins)

Amendments to the Articles of Association

In this section we discuss and review any proposed amendments to the articles of association: Co-Facilitator: [List Co-Facilitator]

Conflict Resolution

In this section we address any conflicts that have gone through the conflict resolution process as described here: Co-Facilitator: [List Co-Facilitator] Test Driven Governance:


Add any discussion or other agenda item spillover to this section Co-Facilitator: [List Co-Facilitator]

   Friends, Jamie and Alex, from Rock Paper Scissors interested in cataloguing and digitizing their zine library.
   We discussed best practices and ideas and agreed that we would like to share a single cataloguing system if there is a good open solution.
   Bill showed off the holdout's zine cataloguing tool on drupal. Its called Permazine and will be launching soon.
   RPS is happy to have it hosted on our servers. They want to do more stuff together!
   Their top requirements are:
   End user experience for catalog entry and search
   Multi concurrent entry
   Folksonomy support
   Sudo would ideally want an open source solution, but understand that's tough for cataloging software.
   Jamie will: Contact the creator of permazine to see if that will suit their needs.
   Max will: see if oclc will still give us wssl for free, and otherwise look at whether 
   SELC was interested in potentially renting space. SELC is moving into LOLspace 2-3 days a week and are subsidizing all of LOLspace's rent!
   JC suggested idea of startup incubator in the office behind the reception area. He is looking for partners. He has a business and is discussing with his employees.
   Jenny happened to meet a massuese from Santa Cruz who may be interested in an office.

Real Estate / Alternative Real Estate ==

    New space discussion (with Tim)
   Logos! Ryan
   Could we make a wiki page on this? 

Landlord Situation

   [Possibly postponed] Landlord situation 
   What to do about request to have elevator locked at night? 
   Well, how do we get in?
   Is this still an issue?
   Thank them for all their help and how awesome they are 
   We would love to be better tenants! 
   Update them on the state of the access system 
   Trash/recycling - we need a key for access to the trash 
   George doesn't want to give the key to people because he doesn't trust us to properly sort the trash. 
   We need to be able to access the trash or  
   Suggest  requests be made in writing, a little more formalized,  because there  are often folks in the space he addresses who are new to  the  community. 
   Suggest a monthly in-person check-in instead! 
   Immediately write down what George requests and forward it along to him and sudo-discuss for confirmation. 
= Membership Benefits ===========
    [possibly postponed] discussion around membership benefits (has infographic)
    Probationary period for new members, upon which 24/7 access is granted 
    Let's ship something soon, and its imperfection will enrage those willing to hack on it =)
    [[possibly postponed]Publicity Pipeline - how do we have better outreach strategies both for sudo room and for sudo room events? 
   501(c)3 status and fiscal sponsors: 
   Could for example Noisebridge open up a bank account for us?
   Membership management system  
    Some codez
    Billz codez
    Andrew    set up the keypad system and reached out to the Public  School (if it   doesn't work he will fix it tonight :-) try code 31337) 
   What kind of information to publicly display? 
   Buzzer access to other tenants in the building 
    Bitcoin payment mechanism implementation (Romy) 
    Funding ideas 
    Current list here:
    People were reminded to add their names next to projects they were interested in, unclear how many did so. 
    Next steps? 
    Membership & Access Discussion: who is a member? what are the benefits of membership? how is membership related to access? 
    Articles of Association on member benefits:
    Made staggered wepay system, seeking feedback/improvements:
    Summary of possible membership benefits structures:
    Straw poll on membership and access:

Post-Meeting Small Group Meetups and Discussion

Co-Facilitators: YOU! & ?

  • Adding labels to bottles :)

Scribe: Convert notes to wiki page and email the list with a link to the notes page and a succinct list of highlights (including action items).