Meeting Notes 2013-06-19
- 1 Attending
- 1.1 Introductions
- 1.2 Announcements (Consent Agenda)
- 1.3 ACTION ITEMS
- 1.4 Fiscal Solvency
- 1.5 Amendments to the Articles of Association
- 1.6 Conflict Resolution
- 1.7 Discussion
- 1.8 Membership Benefits
- 1.9 Post-Meeting Small Group Meetups and Discussion
- Len, Jenny, Max, Jordan, Bill, Ray, Timon, Marina, Jamie, Alex, Morten, Troy, Sarah, Sam
Let's get to know each other!
- Introduction to purpose and format of this meeting
Brief personal intros (< 20 sec per person)
- [Go-around topic]
Icebreaker (10 min)
- [Pair/small group discussion on a topic.]
Announcements (Consent Agenda)
Use this section to briefly announce and consent to items that need no more details or discussion
- This Sat/Sun: Workshop Weekend! workshopweekend.net
- Patrick - clay. Marina and Hilary - computer in a box.
- They still need volunteers! Volunteers get to attend workshops for free.
- Cryptoparty debrief
- 30-35 people!
- lots of stuff installed!
- good teacher to learner ratio.
- two sections: email security (pgp keys) and mobile security (apps to secure phone messages etc.). also presentations about tor and anonymity vs encryption.
- what was the advertising strategy?
- DM on twitter to OO and they retweeted
- physical flyers all around
- for future events:
- more advanced planning would bring more people
- better pitch asking for donations for sudo
- Sudo Kids: Any interest in coordinating further on Tues. nights?
- Sudo-POSSE Party in cooperation with BACE Timebank. 3rd Fridays avalable? , first one in July.
- (Potluck Orientation Skillshare Swapmeet Event)- Lets invite public school, democracy project, oakland-wiki,... for a Meta Networking Event?
- Sunday June 9 @ 7pm - Cleaning of Natural Decay
- Use http://hackerspaces.crowdmap.com/ (ask Matt for admin access)
- Tweet any space details @sudoroom
- Email email@example.com
- Interested in more inter-hackerspaces collab? Join Open Hack Night every Monday at 7pm @LOL (1234 23rd Avenue, San Antonio (east Oakland)). LOL is a POC, Queer and Women-organized hackerspace. It is radically inclusive--EVERYONE is a desired member! Their organizers want us to do more stuff at each others' spaces. :] :]
- BACH event debrief: June 15th @ Noisebridge
- Sudo Bike - ask Matt about borrowing it for a set period of time, or for donations to "Sudo Bike"
- Every Thurs. at 7PM: Oakland Wiki meetup! http://www.oaklandwiki.org
- Editathon at MLK Cafe
- sign up for a slot at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ApmrUsz7z5DodDVaZnJ4TW1ndC1jd1ZYejFhUmRoWXc#gid=0
- contact marina for training, or test out the documentation: https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Sudo_Radio
- Counter Culture Labs (formerly known as East Bay BioHackers) - planning meeting last Friday, updates?
Use this section to review old tasks and propose new tasks. Keep topics brief - if topics are large, they can spillover into later discussion, after-meeting small group discussion, listserv discussion, or next meeting discussion Co-Facilitator: [List Co-Facilitator] (< 30 mins)
Old Action Items
- Door Access: Current status and next steps
- Document process for editing access codes & whether it's possible to have temporary access codes (Andrew) - Marina will follow up with Andrew
- Add robots.txt for sudo room (open item for anyone to take on) MATT
- Not done - Find out who has the key to the cash box :) (Marina)
- Ray will spearhead putting together curriculum for youth in the community - Bill suggests a workshop on security
- Jenny will start a spreadsheet for churches, schools, and other community groups that we can do outreach to for people to sign up to meet with specific organizations.
- Tim will share the map of potential properties available for purchase.
- Jenny will write to School Factory about sponsorship opportunities.
New Action Items
- Jenny to call bank to find out about online access
- Max to coordinate further with RPS
- EVERYONE: CLEAN and encourage others to clean! Model good behavior and suggest cleaning to other people. It is our responsibility to help everyone in our community grow in their ability to act cooperatively :D
- RE: School Factory. Mitch indicated that they were maybe not able to keep their space, so it's unclear whether they would still be able to fiscally sponsor us.
Postponed: items here are not for discussion, only for reference for later meetings so that we don't forget about them :)
- [Postponed] Talk to Danny O'Brien, intro from JC to Jordan, invite him to come to a future sudo meeting to share insight!
- Straight to the source--but out of the country :( Will be back later this month and Jordan will follow up then.
- [Postponed until necessary] Eddan - Reference letter from George
- [Postponed until necessary] Jenny sync with Troy on library - Not yet but they will
- Set up date for label-printing organizing of stuff event - Jenny!1 -troy
- still need to set a date
- [Postponed until someone throws Romy a massive love bomb] Romy to lead diagram for Articles of Association amendment
- Romy to work with Troy to turn the articles into a flow diagram. Diagrams and drawings of sudo room members being passed around.
- [Postponed until ?] Add articles to github (gitorious!!!!!!!? - https://gitorious.org/+sudo-room) - Yardena is going to put these articles up
In this section we review our current financial situation and budget, approve monthly budgets, and discuss any other finance-related issues. Exchequer: We need a new exchequer Co-Facilitator: [List Co-Facilitator]
- Setting up co-exchequers
- The future of the ex-chequer (items suggested from 5/29 meeting):
- New exchequer (tasks):
- Get on bank account
- Follow up on deposits made
- Presents budget during meetings
- Coordinates with scribe to make budget available to all members [transparency]
- Determine if per-member dues can be reduced
- Forecasting longer-term budget
- Exchequer tasks that could easily be done do-acraticly:
- Coordinate new ways of paying
- Investigate alternative sources of income
- Encourage donations
- Infographics? Coordinate with Romy :D
- Bank Links
- Documentation: https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Sudo_room/banking (out of date?)
- Update information about login to bank (might make this private)
- Pay your dues :)
- Review and consensus process:
- Fiscal Solvency Spreadsheet - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AlKk2X9KKqlFdFZJUy12x3ZUhDUmx2N3hUZldyejlXdFE#gid=7
- Rent: $1500; Utilities: $220; Services: $50
- Target membership contribution: $88 per member (based on approx. 30 people)
Amendments to the Articles of Association
In this section we discuss and review any proposed amendments to the articles of association: https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Articles_of_Association Co-Facilitator: [List Co-Facilitator]
In this section we address any conflicts that have gone through the conflict resolution process as described here: https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Articles_of_Association#Section_3.2_Conflict_Resolution Co-Facilitator: [List Co-Facilitator] Test Driven Governance: https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Governance_tests
Add any discussion or other agenda item spillover to this section Co-Facilitator: [List Co-Facilitator]
- Friends, Jamie and Alex, from Rock Paper Scissors interested in cataloguing and digitizing their zine library.
- We discussed best practices and ideas and agreed that we would like to share a single cataloguing system if there is a good open solution.
- Bill showed off the holdout's zine cataloguing tool on drupal. Its called Permazine and will be launching soon.
- RPS is happy to have it hosted on our servers. They want to do more stuff together!
- Their top requirements are:
- End user experience for catalog entry and search
- Multi concurrent entry
- Folksonomy support
- Sudo would ideally want an open source solution, but understand that's tough for cataloging software.
- Jamie will: Contact the creator of permazine to see if that will suit their needs.
- Max will: see if oclc will still give us wssl for free, and otherwise look at whether
- SELC was interested in potentially renting space. SELC is moving into LOLspace 2-3 days a week and are subsidizing all of LOLspace's rent!
- JC suggested idea of startup incubator in the office behind the reception area. He is looking for partners. He has a business and is discussing with his employees.
- Jenny happened to meet a massuese from Santa Cruz who may be interested in an office.
Real Estate / Alternative Real Estate ==
- New space discussion (with Tim)
- Logos! Ryan
- Could we make a wiki page on this?
- [Possibly postponed] Landlord situation
- What to do about request to have elevator locked at night?
- Well, how do we get in?
- Is this still an issue?
- Thank them for all their help and how awesome they are
- We would love to be better tenants!
- Update them on the state of the access system
- Trash/recycling - we need a key for access to the trash
- George doesn't want to give the key to people because he doesn't trust us to properly sort the trash.
- We need to be able to access the trash or
- Suggest requests be made in writing, a little more formalized, because there are often folks in the space he addresses who are new to the community.
- Suggest a monthly in-person check-in instead!
- Immediately write down what George requests and forward it along to him and sudo-discuss for confirmation.
- [possibly postponed] discussion around membership benefits https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Membership_Benefits_Discussion (has infographic)
- Probationary period for new members, upon which 24/7 access is granted
- Let's ship something soon, and its imperfection will enrage those willing to hack on it =)
- [[possibly postponed]Publicity Pipeline - how do we have better outreach strategies both for sudo room and for sudo room events?
- 501(c)3 status and fiscal sponsors:
- Could for example Noisebridge open up a bank account for us? https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/501c3app
- Membership management system
- Andrew set up the keypad system and reached out to the Public School (if it doesn't work he will fix it tonight :-) try code 31337)
- What kind of information to publicly display?
- Buzzer access to other tenants in the building
- Bitcoin payment mechanism implementation (Romy)
- Funding ideas
- Current list here: https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Funding_Ideas
- People were reminded to add their names next to projects they were interested in, unclear how many did so.
- Next steps?
- Membership & Access Discussion: who is a member? what are the benefits of membership? how is membership related to access?
- Articles of Association on member benefits: https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Articles_of_Association#Section_2.3_Benefits
- Made staggered wepay system, seeking feedback/improvements: https://www.wepay.com/donations/sudo-room
- Summary of possible membership benefits structures: https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Membership_Benefits_Discussion
- Straw poll on membership and access: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1zCaEAVVjLwMrWcoPlGb09-G6bvaaiewi33FTz3OBptE/viewform
Post-Meeting Small Group Meetups and Discussion
Co-Facilitators: YOU! & ?
- Adding labels to bottles :)
Scribe: Convert notes to wiki page and email the list with a link to the notes page and a succinct list of highlights (including action items).