[sudo-access] giving instructions to people needing a card

Jake jake at spaz.org
Fri Feb 12 12:46:47 PST 2016

OK thanks to Substack, the grant_access_to_last_attempt.js script is much
better now.

now you run it with just the name of the person you're adding:
./grant_access_to_last_attempt.js Bob Newguy
and it will ask you four questions:

How should the IRC bot announce this user?
What is their email and/or phone number?
Which collective are they a member of?
Who are you, the person granting access?

the first question is asking what the IRC bot will say when the person
swipes in.  This can be their name or nickname or a handle, and let's
people in the IRC chat know who has entered.  If people want to opt-out of
this, type "anonymous" (without the quotes)

email and/or phone number means a way to contact the person, and without
any way to contact them we won't be able to notify them if their ability
to access the door can't be continued, for example because of system
changes (switch to RFID?) or perhaps we need to ask them a question.

collective means, which collective are they a member of?  People can't
have a key to the door unless they're a member of some collective.  If you
are adding someone who is not a member of a collective, say so here, so
that we can make decisions about it in the future if necessary.

Who are you? means enter your name or handle so that other people know who
to talk to if there is an issue about the way you're handing out access.
just a name or something so it's not anonymous.  type the same thing every
time.

ALSO the script will no longer allow you to set someone up with a bad read
as their card - this was a real problem!  if their card didn't read, the
script should exit saying "last failed attempt was a bad read" and you
need to get them to swipe their card again.

thanks substack for your help
-jake