[Biohackers] Open source centrifuge!

Matthew Harbowy hbergeronx at gmail.com
Thu Sep 26 11:14:48 PDT 2013

In most cases, a 2000g, 6000 rpm minifuge is all you need for mini preps
and pelleting DNA. Galaxy VWR minifuge for this is $422, brand new, from
VWR. This kit is $260. You can pick up minifuges at used resellers for
<$50. A basic Dremel tool is about $50. A replacement rotor for the galaxy
microfuge (hint, hint) is $70.

To Patrik's point: how much is your eyesight worth? Be careful out there.
When making plastic covers, use highly resistant materials, like
polycarbonate laminates (e.g. MAKROLON). Metal rotors are probably a better
idea than plastic ones. IMO, the brand new minifuge is not so expensive and
has clearly traceable product liability. DIY in this case might be a great
learning tool, if by "losing an eye" you learn what not to do.

This has been your "Important safety tip there, Egan" of the day.

Matt