[sudo-discuss] problem/solution

Eddie Che eddiemill at gmail.com
Tue Aug 27 13:24:54 PDT 2013

Hack trash:

Everything is free alchemy: Ecologically, the concept of trash is part of
the problem. My view from about 6 weeks at Rainbow cleanup acknowledges +
decolonizes, or hacks, the idea of trash into materials primarily. Trash
manifests these materials freely, with actually a negative value for the
source person or firm generally, This includes wood, metal, paper, plastic
tarps and stuff e-waste such as speakers (MAGNETS!), Any construction site
has these materials regularly, people who are still consumers make them,
firms, and households.

This alchemical transformation functions well for it's purpose (eg, hack
everything is free) to fit our lives and solve environmental problems.
These inventions not only allow someone to live no house, no money, but
also reduce waste and can be replicated without buying them. Try it out--
if you can find and design from the SudoRoom wiki, great. Otherwise, I will
be uploading clearer how-to's which will be going into my twitter feed (
http://twitter.com/eddiemill) from the Sudo Room wiki:
http://sudoroom.org/wiki/

The concept of trash is part of the problem. We need to be more than just
consumers. If these are larger things, can stuff be hacked? Can it be
up-cycled? Is there someone who would use metal to melt it down and
repurpose it, or recycle it? If there are large things, is there a place
that gives these materials freely (I honestly really miss the materials
dumpster from across the street, which was even policed)? Could we go there
and get things from them to hack, so that we are neutral net effect? If we
are "talking these things to death" this week anyone who's read this email
might discuss trash in terms of where we can get (and, maybe deposit)
groundscores, perhaps like nodes in the East Bay.

And, for cleanliness and organization(cause John's email just came in)--
reverse entropy! :D

<3 <3
Eddie Che
http://artandmaterial.wordpress.com/

> The problem Rusty mentioned is something that I think several Sudoers
> tried to solve at the beginning of August with the deep
> clean/reorganization weekend that we had.
>
> If the general consensus is that the
> organization/crowding/cleanliness/etc. problem still exists, I think
> that a good starting point of discussion would be to address the
> successes and rooms-for-improvement of our recent attempt to solve it.
>
> In my opinion we should just have big clean days more often
>
> -Jonathan
>
> On Sun, 2013-08-25 at 21:40 -0700, rusty lindgren wrote:
> > Hey Guys,
> >
> > I feel like we have a problem and I want to put out there, along with
> > what I think is a really reasonable and well thought out solution.
> >

> > Problem:
> >

> > In my opinion there is way too much stuff at SudoRoom, and it's just
> > unfocused and messy.
> >

> > I think it's a roadblock to membership.  We aren't equipped to deal
> > with this much stuff, and we don't have room for people to be in the
> > space.
> >

> > Solution(s):
> >

> > One solution is to have a party where we donate, recycle, and throw
> > out things we don't need, in order to make room for a new design of
> > the space that accomodates more members and makes the space more
> > usable.
> >

> > As part of that we could hand out green stickers to put on things we
> > want to keep, and if people put stickers on things, then we can keep
> > them.  We could also hand out a limited amount of red stickers of
> > things that people want to see leave the space, and we could bring up
> > those items at a meeting.
> >
> > We could pool resources to pay for a dumpster, and uhaul truck.
> >  Obviously, throwing things away would be a last resort, and donating
> > would be preferred.
> >

> > I'm open to other solutions, but this is where I have gotten with
> > other members so far.
> >
> > Fire away!
> >

> > Rusty

Eddie Miller, BU '10
eddiemill at gmail.com | 440-935-5434
Facebook.com/eddiemill | Twitter.com/eddiemill