[sudo-discuss] FUD around Lockpicking class

Anon195714 anon195714 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Feb 27 23:52:37 PST 2013

Yo's-

On the other hand, the Mayor could send along a plain-clothes detective
to hang out and keep an eye open for known gang members etc.  "Just say
Honeypot!", and we're doing the city a favor.

OK, so a few recent crime anecdotes:

= A close friend's car window was smashed on the side street while we
were up at SudoRoom.
= Another close friend's bike was stolen out of the common area.
= A neighbor of mine's bike was stolen out of their garage today.
= The officer who took the stolen bike report (Berkeley PD) said that
the standard MO these days is for the robber to knock at the door, and
if no answer, kick the door in.  If the resident is away it becomes a
burglary.  If the resident is home, it becomes a home-invasion robbery
or worse.
= As another close friend of mine once said, "doors are a convenience
for people who are polite."  A strong lock on a strong door with a weak
window nearby, is evidence of nothing more or less than a homeowner
without the ability to imagine how baddies think.

I don't see any lock-picking going on in any of those.  As a method of
committing crimes, lock-picking is obsolete.

And I do see an opportunity for some positive outreach to Mayor Quan's
office, re. the opportunity for having a detective attend the event.
This would be similar to how Quaker activist groups handled their plans
for protests, by keeping the relevant LE agencies informed.  When I
lived in New England, I saw this first-hand, and it worked.  Protests
organized by those groups were successful, every time.

Does anyone here have good relations with anyone in Oakland city gov,
and want to volunteer to get the lines of communication open?

-G.

=====