[sudo-discuss] FUD around Lockpicking class

Anon195714 anon195714 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Feb 28 01:13:20 PST 2013

Re. Shawn:

In no way am I suggesting that we start "working with the city or law
enforcement officers on reporting who shows up at events or assist them
in doing so," any more than the radical Quakers did.

What I _am_ advocating is to open the lines of communication and point
out that if the city is truly concerned about badguys showing up, they
can send someone along to hang out and observe for themselves.  What
they're going to see is a room full of geeks learning an oldschool
mechanical skill.  More likely they won't bother, in which case their
objection can be dismissed as meaningless.

(BTW, I've known how to pick locks since my naughty phone phreak days in
highschool, when the word "tweet" was slang for the 2600-Hz "clear
tandem" signal, not a friggin' commercial brand for neo-telegrams
dressed up as something cutting-edge.)

As for comparing "'known gang member'" to "the more privileged class":
that's postmodern BS.  The #1 killer of young black men in Oakland isn't
police bullets but gang bullets.  So where are the outraged protests in
front of known gang enclaves, eh?  This isn't an abstraction: a young
black man I knew was killed in a drive-by.  As for "privileged class,"
about 1/3 of SudoRoom members are unemployed, and many are
borderline-homeless.  A few more "privileges," such as full-time jobs
that pay decent wages, would be a good thing.

-G.

=====