[sudo-discuss] FUD around Lockpicking class

Eddan Katz eddan at clear.net
Thu Feb 28 10:22:20 PST 2013

It would be worth our while for someone to draft a short statement that
can be posted on the Workshop Weekend website or as a Sudo Room blog
post. I'd be willing to help if someone did a first draft. So lame of
Jean Quan to not even look into it.

In sum, I think there are two major elements to committing a crime - the
act itself and the intent. In order to have both, you need knowledge.
There's nothing in here about the socially positive reasons why you'd
want to teach that. Take the common experience everyone can relate to of
locking yourself out of your house, car, office, etc.. People need to
know how to pick locks most certainly in circumstances that are
authorized and often in the case of an emergency. We may want to clarify
that in regards to intent - we have the opposite motivation to teach
people these skills. It will go a long way to explicitly say that we by
no means condone the use of those skills for criminal purposes.

We should post it and send it directly to the authors of the articles
before the end of the day, so that a further story can be written about
it. May also want to notify Susan Mernit @ Oakland Local to get a little
more fair and balanced reporting.