[sudo-discuss] [HELP] Oak Tech teacher requests space 6hrs/1x/month **starting Sunday**

Vicky Knox vknoxsironi at gmail.com
Mon Oct 14 00:25:00 PDT 2013

Marc's response is justified, though I reject the language of the two
opening questions.

My conversation over the phone with Vivienne lead me to believe that she
was participating in a competition organized by her school and I didn't
carefully scan the email explanation that she sent me afterward to send to
the list. I am really down about my oversight and apologize for it.

I did learn the details of the competition's funding when she and a
colleague came to see the space and pick up the key the night before their
practice, and at that point I processed the explanation of the sponsorship
much differently than Marc. While she is not happy about the sponsor,
Vivienne's justification of pursuing this event was that this was a great
opportunity for her students to get a hold of resources and a learning
environment they would otherwise not have had. She wanted to be able to do
this event at a hackerspace because her ultimate goal was to use this
competition as a bridge to connect to a critical, hacker community (for
what this bridge is worth, given the obvious discrepancy). I felt at once
uneasy and understanding. I respect the sentiment that she expressed that
she needed to take the opportunity that was there, just as I am not quick
to jump to judgment of many of my bright and fascinating friends back home
who were in a position in which they (felt that they?) needed to join the
military in order to realistically afford higher education. That said, I
stand with Marc in my rejection of the military industrial complex (or
whatever you would like to call it), but I do not know the answer to more
nuanced questions of access to aspirational education within a race-class
divided society. I invite your conversation.

If Marc or anyone else would like to bring up this topic at the general
meeting, I could not make it this Wednesday but am available the following.

Vicky