[sudo-discuss] Notes from Meeting With Potential Sudo Lawyer

Maximilian Klein isalix at gmail.com
Wed Dec 17 18:00:27 PST 2014

1) Do we even really need 501c3? 501c3 is a means to an end. The benefit is
that large institutions wont donate or grant to us without it. The downside
is that it will cost several hundred dollars and is a PITA from a effort
point of view. Smaller institutions can donate to us and get their
donations tax exempted as long as they do, (and they can) argue that we are
in spirit a non-profit. So we should only get 501c3, if we think other
umbrellas aren't easier, and we see big donations coming in later.

1a) we need to determine the probability of getting such a donation from a
large instituion in the next year

2) Incorporating. It's not enough to just file papers because in a pinch if
we do not act and do all our board meeting officiating properly we could be
dismissed as a farce of a incorporation.

3) changing the articles of incorporation has to happen in sacramento and
is expensive and slow. it's easier to edit the by laws if possible.

4) we need to make records whenever the board of directors issues
dirctives, however small.

5) if we ever became so attached to the omni that it would break sudo
spiritually or financially to move out then we need to get a formal
contract with omni.

6) the IRS is allergic to nonprofits that use certain words like "tea
party" and surprisingly "open source" because they've been burned by those
types before.

7) treasurer does not have heightened financially responsibility than
anyone else on the board.

Make a great day,
Max Klein ‽ http://notconfusing.com/