[sudo-discuss] "learn to code" events subject to full-WTF scale crackdown...any ideas?

Andrew andrew at roshambomedia.com
Mon Feb 3 10:20:50 PST 2014

Personally, I don't think the discussion should be about whether or not
these schools have merrit. What about the "California Bureau for Private
Postsecondary Education" ( http://www.bppe.ca.gov/ ) which has existed for
less than 4 years now. Does it really have merrit? What are the
regulations, and is this really worth having another california berucracy
that makes it even harded to open up bussiness here?

--Andrew

On Fri, Jan 31, 2014 at 8:04 PM, Romy Ilano <romy at snowyla.com> wrote:

> Well to play devil's advocate:
>
> creative, qusetioning students with computer science skills are valued by
> the industrialists nowadays. They actually seek out people who are a little
> rebellious.
>
> I read that some of the more innovative Chinese high schools are ditching
> standardized tests, encuraging more creative education, as they see it as
> their only ticket to becoming an economy on the high end of the value chain
> (more creative, more design-focused)
>
> What if the evil capitalists support a more intelliectual, creative
> education free of rote education?
>

> Message: 11
> Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2014 18:23:34 -0800
> From: Anthony Di Franco <di.franco at gmail.com>
> To: GtwoG PublicOhOne <g2g-public01 at att.net>
> Cc: sudo-discuss <sudo-discuss at lists.sudoroom.org>
> Subject: Re: [sudo-discuss] "learn to code" events subject to full-WTF
>         scale crackdown...any ideas?
>

> Outside of the narrow regulatory question, this reminds me of another
> relating to the vocationalization of programming to supply commoditized
> labor to large corporations, which is something I am uneasy around and
> which I think reflects a shifting power balance that deserves to be
> opposed. Here is a line of criticism that I think is right on, running from
> Seymour Papert to Bret Victor to
> this<
> http://programmingisterrible.com/post/73056840109/paperts-dreams-and-our-grim-meathook-reality
> >
> :
>
> *"In ?Meanwhile, at code.org <http://worrydream.com/MeanwhileAtCodeOrg/>?,
>
> Bret juxtaposes the ideals of Seymour Papert and the dreams of
> entrepreneurs and venture capitalists. Papert wanted to use programming as
> a way to let children explore powerful ideas and let their imagination run
> wild. The agenda of the political, wealthy, and powerful is to build a new
> generation of worker bees to fuel their startups. One sees code as a
> liberation, and the other as a vocation..."*

-------
Andrew Lowe
Cell: 831-332-2507
http://roshambomedia.com