[sudo-discuss] Kapital & ideas (long posts), was Re: Sudo! Wanna co-host this surveillance event?

GtwoG PublicOhOne g2g-public01 at att.net
Wed Feb 5 00:16:28 PST 2014

Yo David and anyone else who is up for a long read or three-

(Apologies for the delay writing back, I had a pile of work to clear.)

Agreed, there are times when one has to choose one's fights, and not
everyone chooses the same fights at the same times.  Looks like we agree
about fair use, anonymity, mesh, and the movement for self-ownership of
personal data.

Fighting back with ideas:

Majorly agreed re. "fight back ...with ideas."  And "...all the tech in
the world won't help if people don't give a hoot because they're too
exhausted by the Spectacle-induced trance of capital etc. to care, or
don't see why its necessary or in their self-interest."  This point is
HUGE, and it's rare to find others in the tech universe who get it.  Too
often we confuse the tools with which we build, and the things we build,
with the purposes for which we build.

Martin Luther King had a dial phone and a typewriter.  He changed the
world with the power of his ideas.  Today each of us has a supercomputer
on our desk and/or in our pocket, and can reach an audience of millions
in the time it takes to blow our noses.

What we lack is an idea: but not just "an" idea, rather a set of ideas,
an ecosystem of ideas that, taken together, open a new view of the world
and ourselves in it, and inspire people to think deeply and act
courageously.

We've inherited a fortune in ideas from all of history, and yet it
appears that something is missing, something that could form a bridge
over which we can walk from the past and present into the future.
Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that happiness is not
identical with meaning.

The Spectacle and the circuses can produce happiness, but what they
don't produce is a sense of meaning.  Instead we're told, often by our
peers, that the most rational view is that life is meaningless, that the
universe has no purpose, and that only a religious or romantic fool
would believe otherwise.  But two NOTs don't make an AND: so what we're
left with is a proverbial hole in our soul and nothing to fill it.  "The
universe is DEAD!" is hardly a rallying cry for sustainability, much
less for revolution.

I'm willing to take a chance on an idea, and call BS on the "life is
meaningless" meme.  In point of fact the best available science shows us
that the sense of deeply felt meaning in relation to something greater
than self, is hardwired in our very brains, over the course of Darwinian
time.  It has been one of the necessities for passing the tests of
natural selection throughout human history, and will continue to be so
in the foreseeable future.

With that bit of empiricism under our belts, we can use what nature has
given us and seek out the objectives of our sense of meaning and purpose
in this new world of ours.  Life is as inherently, intrinsically, and
un-commodifiably meaningful as we can see, hear, reach out for, and act
on.  Seeking the objectives of meaning is how we'll discover the ideas
we so badly need.

Money, information, and essence:

Money can be represented in ordered bits, and the vast majority of the
world's money today is just that.  As no configuration of bits is
thermodynamically privileged over any other, configurations are
orthogonal to thermodynamics (I have a couple of thought-experiments to
support that assertion).

It would be an impressive magic trick to convert something physical and
impermanent, into a Platonic "form" that is eternal.  Yet this is
exactly what Kapital does with human labor:  feed a human some calories,
extract the converted energy of labor as a commodity, and exchange it
for configurations of bits that are immune to entropy.

"...massive informationalization of our lives and in our language, of
experience and of concepts..."  You make an excellent point here.  First
I should say that I'm using the term "information" in a broader sense
than "data," including the "stuff" that makes up the entire set of
contents of conscious minds.  But you're making a really important
distinction here, and I think we should start using it and trying to
make it go viral.

What you're getting at with "language... experience... and concepts..."
is that there is something qualitative about us that does not readily
reduce to "information" as "data."  David Chalmers and others have
lately started getting rather bold about bringing back an oldschool term
for this, that I think we should adopt:  qualia.

Here we run into a kind of dualistic problem roughly analogous with the
physics of light as particles and waves.  Language is clearly
transmissible in binary bits (and in analog waveforms), and experience
and concepts can be described in language.  To that extent, these things
have an objective or quantitative existence.  But concepts and
experience are only describable, and not truly reducible in any sense.

As with your example about roses (and noses):  Even if we understood all
of the chemicals produced by the rose, and everything that occurs in the
nose and the brain to perceive the smell of roses, that knowledge is
entirely distinct from the direct experience of smelling roses.  That
knowledge does not enable us to predict what the subjective sensation of
smelling roses will be like.  (Thankfully we don't have to worry about
the internet monetization of smells yet: we don't have smelleos, much
less YouSniff, and puritans trying to legislate against "pornolfactory"
by saying "it's hard to define but you know it when you smell it!")

Qualia are different to objective knowledge.  Neither is "better" than
the other; and we as humans live at once in both of those worlds.

The attempt to reduce experience to bits is not the fault of science,
but the fault of those whose goal is to relentlessly monetise everything
in existence without limit.  Again, it's all about trading in
configurations of bits.  This configuration of bits that convey
someone's emotions on their Facebook page, for that configuration of
bits that convey an advertiser's payment into Facebook's bank account.
This configuration of bits that convey your thoughts and mine in email,
for that configuration of bits that convey a data broker's payment into
Google's bank account.

It's the most efficient form of human energy-conversion possible, even
"better" than slave labor because it's "voluntary" and humans do it
constantly.  Perhaps Google's NSA-like AIs that scrape Gmail for every
microgram of commodity value, will read what you and I are saying, and
achieve something like Buddhist enlightenment.  More likely, we'll get
red-flagged as philosophical subversives who might disobey their
consumption quotas.

"...its a real mythology that needs unpacking."  We're doing that right
here.  All we need to do is put our ideas together, yours and mine and
anyone else who wants to jump into this, and find a way to get them out
to a wider public than this obscure mailing list.

Math, markets:

Your critique of math converges with the point about qualia.  But in
this, we can differentiate between math as Platonic forms that describe
certain aspects of nature, and math as an instrumentality for extracting
energy-conversion (surplus value) from organisms.

Markets aren't rational: agreed.  Someone got a Nobel in economics for
saying that in a bunch of peer-reviewed papers and/or a book.

Though, game theory isn't a "total fail."  In fact it predicts why
globalization is bad.  Experiments run with humans playing Prisoner's
Dilemma discovered something interesting: if you only play one round,
your self-interest advantage is to "defect" on the other player to gain
your freedom at the expense of his/her incarceration, rather than
"cooperate" with him/her to obtain freedom for you both.  Thus it became
the conventional wisdom that self-interest always entails screwing-over
the other person.

But then someone ran the game in "multiple iteration" mode, where the
same two players go through it multiple times.  Under that condition it
turned out that the self-interest advantage is to "cooperate" with the
other player rather than "defect" on her/him.

The result is: single-iteration rewards defection; multiple-iteration
rewards cooperation.

OK, so how does that apply to globalism?  In a localized economy, you
encounter the same people over and over again: your economic
transactions with others are multiple-iteration play, and this rewards
cooperation, not screwing the other guy/gal.  In a globalized economy,
one can engage in single-iteration play again and again and again, all
around the world.  One can screw-over the locals and then move on,
finding someone else to screw-over before the bad reputation catches up.

Globalism rewards those whose self-interest strategy is "repeat
defection," in other words, rewards sociopaths.  And, lo & behold, since
globalism has become the dominant paradigm, we see the emergence of a
whole new class of economic sociopaths, as exemplified in the film _The
Wolf Of Wall Street_.  The lead character in that film was if anything a
bumbling oaf compared to the master fraudsters who nearly destroyed the
economy in 2008 and then demanded and got gazillion-dollar "retention
bonuses" paid for by taxpayer bailout money.

Game theory tells us something important about how this happened, and
gives us a powerful tool to oppose it: economic localization, which
rewards cooperation.

"Scientific rationalism is in a way a beautiful dream, like a wonderful,
utopian idea, and a nice way to organize a representation of the
world... [but] we don't operate, for even one millisecond, as rational
creatures."  Sometimes we do operate as rational creatures, but I agree
that for the most part we don't.

For the most part, emotions determine behavior, and reason comes along
after-the-fact with an explanation.  I can explain some of the
neuroscience behind that statement, but the main thing is, we agree
about the importance of emotions and qualia as factors in human
experience and the choices people make (or don't make, as the case may
be).

>From our lengthy conversation in email, I'm getting a sense of an idea
or two that may be liberating: that qualia really matter, that we are
not reducible to bits, that our lives are not to be monetized, and that
our minds (our souls, if one prefers that language) are not to be bought
and sold.  We are persons, not objects, and it is evil to treat a person
as an object.  Each person has an entire universe within them.  Each
person has an intrinsic and irreducible value.  Cooperation, rather than
competition alone, is an essential in society, and people working
together can build something meaningful.  Etc. etc.  All of this has
been said many times before in other language, but it's time to update
the language to meet our present circumstances.  The core message is
about the worth of each person, and the right of each person to be
self-determining, subject only to the limit of not harming others.

Dude, you are awesome.

-G.

======

On 14-02-03-Mon 6:43 AM, David Keenan wrote:
> damn, g. when you write you right.
>
> You're completely on point - but of course, I actually do care a lot
> about this issue. All I was inferring is once in a while the time
> comes to just shift productive energies into a new paradigm and maybe
> stop playing whack-a-mole with unsecurable modalities like email, and
> instead work on using something better to replace it. Same with the
> declining fair use and vanishing anonymity of the internet in general
> - the wonderful work the mesh folk are doing are to me a really big
> part of this solution. I almost mentioned something about
> appropriation (or feeding biting hands styrofoam peanuts) as a tactic
> being a noble way to cannabilize and take back our infrastructure that
> our tax dollars largely built, so I am 100% with you there. I have
> also said many times myself how we need to start a movement to have a
> right to data about ourselves, so I am thrilled to hear you say the
> same thing. Absolutely.
>
> When it comes to the event, we need to fight back with technological
> tools, but also with ideas. Not sure which is more important (or if
> thats even worth asking), they might be equal, but for me it comes
> down on the side of ideas, as all the tech in the world won't help if
> people don't give a hoot because they're too exhausted by the
> Spectacle-induced trance of capital etc to care, or dont see why its
> necessary or in their self-interest. I fully support the cryptoparties
> - what we also need are the crypto-semantic frames i guess, to help us
> put this fucking insane world where companies pirate and monitize our
> digital lives into a moral logic everyone, even our grandmas, can all
> intuitively grasp and therefore resist. Drive the demand as it were,
> for 'privacy'. I see events like this being part of that conversation
> on the side of ideas, but the cryptoparties, and making them less
> technically abstruse, are the other half for sure. Theory + practice =
> praxis, we need both.
[I have to break up your long paragraphs into shorter ones for
legibility; I'm dyslexic and my eyes have trouble tracking lines in
large blocks of text.]