[sudo-discuss] SUDOregistry?

David Keenan dkeenan44 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 18 13:56:34 PST 2014

This project brings up the age-old issue of transparency vs privacy. Too
much 'transparency' can be bad in ways Jenny pointed out, too much privacy
keeps work from being more collaborative which is endemic to the attraction
of hackerspaces and collectives. In general i feel transparency is too
privileged. We forget transparency often involves a loss or giving up of
individual agency and control, not just a gain in centralizeable,
actionable 'data'.

I do think this tradeoff needs to be modulated and controlled at all
times by individuals themselves. In my view there shouldnt be a repo where
you are expected to list what you deem is your personal info, even matching
names to 'nym's if ppl arent down for that. But i think matching nym's to
projects would be useful, if folks are willing to document say what part of
what project they are working on, as in dev environments. And perhaps
people could set their own privacy settings, only share at their discretion
certain info with certain people. I would participate in something like
this if such privacy controls were part of it from the outset. Privacy,
with respect to user-controllable visibility of personal info, needs to be
thought of as a fundamental integral component, not an add-on, for every
 software product.

my 2c. carry on