[sudo-discuss] shotspotter will be discontinued

Max B maxb.personal at gmail.com
Fri Mar 14 16:45:29 PDT 2014

Oh boy there are a bunch of things here:

1. "Minus shotspotter, shootings will increase, guaranteed." - To call
this unfounded is being polite. There are significant sentencing
enhancements for crimes that are perpetrated with guns in the state of
California. These people are potentially facing years in prison.
Shooting a gun in these situations is an entirely irrational action.
You're perpetuating the notion that if we just make people more scared
of the police, they'll be less likely to participate in violent crime,
and it's bogus theory.

2. It's not clear to me that shotspotter was particularly good at
discerning between gun shots and other loud noises, or at least that it
was used for other purposes:
http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/video/7473317-oakland-police-use-shotspotter-to-find-illegal-fireworks/
This is typical surveillance mission creep.

3. It might be hard for some of the folks on this list to understand,
but for communities who have been the consistent target of state and
police violence, there is a very reasonable fear of the cops. Whether or
not you think that the police are the appropriate response to a
particular given situation, by choosing to partner with the police in
any way, we are making a specific galvanizing decision. Sudoroom (and
hackers, and new residents to west oakland) will be judged by these
sorts of decisions, and in this case, I think that perception is a real
and important thing to take into consideration.

Of all of the projects that really have the possibility to make Oakland
a more peaceful city, I think it's likely that this is money and time
poorly spent.