[sudo-discuss] Redirect of the "Gentrification" Thread into a more encompassing awareness.

Craig Rouskey craigrouskey at gmail.com
Tue May 13 19:06:32 PDT 2014

Gentrification. It makes me think of that bench on Adeline that says "Do
something for Oakland or Leave."

To me, doing something for the community - i.e. using our privilege to
educate and grow community across class, race and other social lines - acts
as a counterbalance to the gross non-aware/hyper-consumerist gentrification
that we see disintegrating communities throughout the bay.

I could continue to ramble on (especially about people who tout "property
rights" then blame SF residents for their property-protective NIMBY
policies as a way to validate gentrification), but I won't. Not here.
Instead, I'll suggest that we all acknowledge that we live in a constantly
growing and changing place whose face changes simply by the amount of money
thrown at it...really, it's as bad as Liberace. We have these internal
conversations and the truth is, it's not us. We are not driving
gentrification. We are all doing what we have to do to stay in the bay
area. Some of us try to make the communities we exist in better, some of us
try to suck the life out of them.

That is all.

Craig

To quote Janis Joplin "It's all the same fucking day, man."

Craig Rouskey, MSc
Medical Microbiologist and Immunologist
(510) 407-6775
craigrouskey at gmail.com