[sudo-discuss] Fwd: [sudo-info] reaching out from google.org regarding an assistive technology hackathon

yar yardenack at gmail.com
Thu Jun 25 15:59:11 PDT 2015

On Wed, Jun 24, 2015 at 8:54 PM, Adam Munich <adam at aperture.systems> wrote:
>> Instead of arguing, could we instead *be thankful* that google is willing to sponsor healthcare innovation, and not distributing the cash as dividends to their shareholders like most of corporate america?

To me this just sounds like: "You can't criticize anything I do,
because I'm rich".

In theory, inviting shitty things to Sudo & Omni gives us a big
opportunity to challenge them. But doing that without just getting
co-opted would take a lot of work and struggle and I don't know if we
have the resources for that right now, let alone the risk of failing
to challenge them enough and just being complicit. Also, if we
specifically reject this event and tell them exactly why, and what
kind of things we'd like to see from them in the future, that's also a
way to influence them. If they're really well meaning, they'd listen
and take it to heart. But if all they really care about is money and
prestige, then they'll just smile and move on and we didn't waste all
our time and energy. Not holding my breath, personally.