[sudo-discuss] [omni-discuss] Benefit Corporation?

Mari M. strawberrypilabs at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 14:33:20 PST 2015

"Also, I want to unpack this: "turn the Ballroom into a money-making
venue to help better serve the community". Can you explain what you
mean by this? Who would be better served and how?"

I'm really glad you brought this up. Thanks, yar! XD

Firstly, the Omni would be better served simply by not only having enough
money to continue to rent without the fear of losing the building, but also
to accumulate funds to eventually purchase the building ourselves.
Furthermore, with an influx of money above the bare necessities, we can
invest on the building's infrastructure, make it more accessible to people
with disabilities, general building maintenance, etc.

Secondly, if we had more money coming in, we could help each collective on
their mission by helping them financially to remain here (assuming their
purpose/values are in line with the Omni's, of course). I'm not sure of the
needs/wants of all of the collectives but if there's money coming in,
collectives doing good won't have to be pushed out because they can't pay
rent, anymore.

Thirdly, by having great collectives that continue to thrive within the
Omni, it does Oakland in general a great service by providing food for the
homeless, science/technology education, arts education and social work. All
of the collectives prospering not only benefits the Omni and it's regulars,
but also the community as whole.

I know I'm just an Omni noob, but everyone I have met here has been great
and are doing amazing community work. This makes me passionate about seeing
it thrive and not just whither away.