[sudo-discuss] [omni-building] LED replacement lights and fluorescent fixtures in basement

Jake jake at spaz.org
Sun Apr 2 13:08:32 PDT 2017

thanks Patrik!!!

I believe these LED bulbs can also be used with NO ballast, which means they're
a sound investment for fixtures which have a bad ballast in them, since we can
just wire them in and forget about that one.

For fixtures we have that have working ballasts, i think we should make sure to
first exhaust our supply (if any) of existing replacement fluorescent bulbs.

-jake

On Sat, 1 Apr 2017, Patrik D'haeseleer wrote:

> Just for reference, this is the 8ft LED bulb that we installed in CCL:
>
> http://www.homedepot.com/p/Feit-Electric-8-ft-T8-T12-44-Watt-Cool-White-Linear-LED-Light-Bulb-T96-841-LED-RP/206036837
>
> A bit expensive at $60, but we had previously already gone through
> something like three of the 8ft fluorescents. Next time one burns out, I'm
> replacing it with another LED.
>
> As far as I know, this type can be used as a direct replacement with an
> old-fashioned ballast or one of the newer electronic starters. Feel free to
> borrow ours if you have an 8ft fixture that you'd like to test out. If I
> remember correctly, the LED one is in the 8ft fixture closest to the
> graffiti wall.
>
> Patrik
>
> On Sat, Apr 1, 2017 at 9:06 PM, Jake <jake at spaz.org> wrote:
>
>> regarding the flourescent light ballasts in the basement, i believe the
>> replacements i installed were inductive but they may have been electronic.
>>
>> I don't know if they are saying that the LED replacement lamps are _only_
>> compatible with "inductive" ballasts and not electronic, or if they mean
>> that
>> they are OK with leaving the ballast in place.
>>
>> I do not believe that our lighting fixtures use starters at all though, so
>> just can't guess whether any particular LED replacement bulbs will work
>> with
>> our fixtures without modifications.
>>
>> the right thing to do would be to order a single LED replacement bulb (or a
>> pair, since sometimes they only work in pairs) and test our ballasts with
>> them.
>>
>> then if they work, we can get more, enough for all the fixtures we need
>> them
>> for.
>>
>> that said, i think that if we have any more working conventional
>> flourescent
>> bulbs in stock (including in fixtures which need a replacement ballast) we
>> should use them up before switching to buying LEDs.
>>
>> -jake
>>
>> On Fri, 31 Mar 2017, Jenny Ryan wrote:
>>
>> Adding sudo-discuss back in - we could also take the opportunity to make
>>> the basement nicer. A bit more spacious down there and i belueve there is
>>> maybe a projector screen still mounted?
>>>
>>> Basement todos:
>>> * replace some dead flourescents with led flourescents (jake, do u
>>> remember
>>> if they're inductive or electronic? Going off of
>>> https://www.google.com/amp/www.instructables.com/id/How-to-