[sudo-discuss] surface mount electronics donation

Patrik D'haeseleer patrikd at gmail.com
Wed Jul 26 03:12:03 PDT 2017

On Wed, Jul 26, 2017 at 3:03 AM, Jake <jake at spaz.org> wrote:

> personally i think we should accept those parts, but we've been getting
> rid of
> a lot of unnecessary stuff from sudoroom recently (well mostly not me
> doing it)
> so anything that we get from them that doesn't belong in sudoroom will get
> recycled if nobody else wants it.  I will say that the last stuff we got
> from
> them seems to be pretty decently useful, most of it, so that's a good sign.
>
> I don't think we want the carousels though, they seem like the kind of
> thing
> you use in a factory where you have plenty of space and need random access
> fast, whereas we are only going to survive in sudoroom if we can store
> stuff
> densely and compensate by keeping good records of where stuff is parked.

OK - I'll try to take some pictures of the carousel on Thursday, so people
can see what I'm talking about. I do think it provides for some very dense
storage, and would likely come with a ton of other through-hole electronic
parts, connectors and mounting components if we're willing to take the
entire thing. Conversely, if I just take the trays with the SMD components,
I'd have several dozen small trays that would need a rack to go into...

Patrik