[sudo-discuss] [omni-discuss] Linux dual boot on Basement Computer bank?

Marc Juul juul at labitat.dk
Thu Nov 9 10:13:31 PST 2017

On Thu, Nov 9, 2017 at 10:02 AM, Yardena Cohen <yardenack at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm searching my email for "basement computers" and "basement GCEA"
> and I see a few different threads going back to this summer, all of
> them involving people being confused and asking questions and
> complaining that they have Windows. But I'm not able to find any
> record of the delegates or the commons working group actually talking
> about designating that space for GCEA. Can anybody point me to meeting
> notes about this?
>
> Personally, I think if GCEA has a legitimate need for these computers
> in order to do their work, we should accommodate and help them make it
> "official", whatever that looks like. Maybe they should be
> acknowledged as stewards of a commons in the basement just like
> Sudoers are stewards of a commons in our (relatively large) space.
>
> At this point, anytime I see a new group enthusiastic about using
> Omni, my instinct is to encourage and welcome them rather than hit
> them with a bunch of rules. I get sad seeing the building empty and
> would like to have more people around.

I'm not trying to impose rules, I'm just trying to avoid a repeat of this
incident where someone installed linux over a computer that apparently
needed windows for its intended function. Labeling stuff with ways to
contact the steward(s) is just a good idea and takes little effort (though
permanent markers do have an annoying tendency to be scarce when most
needed). Maybe we should print out a bunch of labels that say "Hi! This
thing isn't labeled and I (the person who put this sticker on it) don't
know who, is the steward of this item. Please label this item with at least
an email address, phone number or other point of contact. If you can add
the intended purpose and name of associated omni collective then even
better!".