[sudo-discuss] [omni-discuss] Linux dual boot on Basement Computer bank?

hol at gaskill.com hol at gaskill.com
Thu Nov 9 14:31:20 PST 2017

Agree with the sentiment as well, and to this last point all I can say
is the dual boot proposal encourages more use of the area, those
computers, and maybe opens up opportunities for more free classes at the
Omni.  I have not seen anyone using them - logging on was my first
instinct and I was surprised to see them all locked down.  Ed's proposal
seemed completely sensitive to the need to retain 100% effectiveness in
Windows OS and just adding a small partition to allow additional use
cases.

Going back to the very beginning of Omni space use discussions, there
was alot of concern about groups getting exclusive access to and
'balkanizing" (not my words) this library area, in the process turning
away a small number of potential member collective proposals for
exclusive use of one of the three smaller rooms to themselves, who were
willing to make appropriate financial commitments toward Omni solvency
as part of the arrangement.

That said, there has been a proliferation of materials and equipment
accumulating in the main basement common areas without any visible
evidence of stewardship. It would be unfair to single out GCEA
specifically because they have actually brought valuable and useful
equipment, that people want to use, while other areas sit silently
obstructed by stashes of material have not been scrutinized in the same
way.

If we're not going to hold every common space steward to the same
standard of maximizing usability for all, why hold GCEA to this higher
standard?