[sudo-discuss] [omni-discuss] Linux dual boot on Basement Computer bank?

Ed Biow biow at riseup.net
Thu Nov 9 16:31:40 PST 2017

Julian, I don't know if the Mint box dual boots or if it obliterated the
Windows partition, it is about the fourth one over from the left, I'll
check the next time I'm in the Omni.  In any case, I'm sure we could use
clonezilla (http://clonezilla.org/) or partclone or some such to copy
over the file system from one of the working Windows boxes, if desired.
We might have to call Microsoft to re-activate the installation, but I
don't imagine that would be too burdensome. I wouldn't mind doing that
if these machines are actually being used to teach children how to use
corporate software or something equally edifying.

I'm open to explaining dual booting to GCEA and asking for their
permission before mucking with any of the other boxes but I'm not sure
how to get contact them, I scrolled through the 180 days of email I keep
on my riseup account that I use for political stuff, but didn't see
anything too damning. I assume Almaz is a person and not the secretive
Soviet military space station program from the sixties & seventies? A
search through my email turns up this address, should I try to initiate
contact?

ahana75 at gmail.com

I agree with Jake that unattended computers should not be left running
all the time, except maybe one or two of the public boxes on the second
floor. (They may be noisy, but they are mostly running relatively
low-powered AMD E-350 CPUs and probably use half the juice of these
basement Core 2 Duos) At home I tend to shut down a box if I'm not going
to be using it for more than a couple of hours or so unless it is doing
something. Even then you can tell the computer to shut off after a given
period of time.

https://www.computerhope.com/unix/ushutdow.htm

A long time ago there was a marginal case to be made for leaving a
machine on all the time, but that is no longer true.

https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000390.htm

BTW, the last time I went in to the Omni office to look for a pad for
Einstein I noticed that the 32" TV used as a monitor was on, it wasn't
even in sleep mode. I believe it hooked to a machine running OSX which I
am not unduly familiar with in a Biblical sense. Someone might  mess
with the computer's settings and tell it to blank the screen after 30
minutes or so.

On 11/08/2017 05:42 PM, Julian Park wrote:
> [...]
>> <mailto:biow at riseup.net> - often "Gnudnik" on irc.freenode.net
>> <http://irc.freenode.net>
>>
>> Skype username: edmundbiow
>>
>> To subscribe or unsubscribe to the lists for which I'm an
>> administrator send an email to the following:
>> Subscribe:
>> occupyoakland-subscribe at lists.riseup.net
>> <mailto:occupyoakland-subscribe at lists.riseup.net>
>> oscargrantcommittee-subscribe at lists.riseup.net
>> <mailto:oscargrantcommittee-subscribe at lists.riseup.net>
>> oaklandprivacyworkinggroup-subscribe at lists.riseup.net
>> <mailto:oaklandprivacyworkinggroup-subscribe at lists.riseup.net>
>> oaklandpublicbank-subscribe at lists.riseup.net
>> <mailto:oaklandpublicbank-subscribe at lists.riseup.net>
>> occupyoaklanddiscuss-subscribe at lists.riseup.net
>> <mailto:occupyoaklanddiscuss-subscribe at lists.riseup.net>
>> oaklandlivablewagediscussion-subscribe at lists.riseup.net
>> <mailto:oaklandlivablewagediscussion-subscribe at lists.riseup.net>
>> (dormant)
>> occupyoaklandkitchen-subscribe at lists.riseup.net
>> <mailto:occupyoaklandkitchen-subscribe at lists.riseup.net> (dormant)
>>
>> Unsubscribe:
>>
>> Relatively secure EMAIL:
>>
>> You can use a PGP key to encrypt and secure our messages. To start
>> using it, you'll need to install an OpenPGP software on your computer.
>> Below you'll find a list of possible solutions for your operating system:
>>
>> Windoze: Kleopatra (http://gpg4win.de/download.html)
>> OSX: GPG Keychain (https://gpgtools.org/#gpgsuite)
>> Linux: GnuPG (https://www.gnupg.org/related_software/frontends.html)
>> Android: OpenKeychain
>> (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.sufficientlysecure.keychain)
>>
>> i(diot)OS: iPGMail
>> (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ipgmail/id430780873?mt=8)
>>
>> Once you set up PGP on your computer please import my public key into
>> your local OpenPGP Key-Manager. The valid PGP keys for my
>> biow at cubasoldarity.net <mailto:biow at cubasoldarity.net> &
>> biow at riseup.net <mailto:biow at riseup.net> accounts can be downloaded
>> here: http://ebiow.yasashi.net/pgp/
>>
>> An "easy" way to set up PGP on your computer is to download the free &
>> open sources Thunderbird email client (available on Linux, Windohs &
>> O$X) & install the EnigMail Add-On.
>> https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/all.html
>> https://www.enigmail.net/download/
>> https://www.enigmail.net/documentation/quickstart-ch1.php
>>
>> Looking forward to exchange snooping-free messages with you & making
>> the NSA spend mondo bucks to discover the secret of my bube's kartofel
>> kugel recipe.
>>
>> PGP Public Key for biow at riseup.net <mailto:biow at riseup.net>:

>> Is god willing to prevent evil but not able? Then he is not
>> omnipotent. Is he able but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he
>> both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor
>> willing? Then why call him god? - Epicurus (341-270 BCE)

            Power corrupts;
   Absolute power corrupts absolutely;
          God is all-powerful.
       Draw your own conclusions

Edmund Joseph Biow
328 Haddon Road
Oakland, California 94606
(510) 763-0591 (try first, messages checked in morning, dumb phone, no
caller ID, leave number)
(415) 623-6473 (cell)
biow at sonic.net - biow at riseup.net - ejbiow at gmail.com - ebiow at yasashi.net

To subscribe or unsubscribe to the lists I manage send an email to the
following:
Subscribe:
occupyoakland-subscribe at lists.riseup.net
oaklandprivacyworkinggroup-subscribe at lists.riseup.net
civilizethecops-subscribe at lists.riseup.net
occupyoaklandkitchen-subscribe at lists.riseup.net
infomedusa-subscribe at lists.riseup.net

Unsubscribe:

    (\__/)  .~    ~. ))
     |-| '-' \    } ))      Warning squirrels:
    .(   _(   )_.'          Einstein is on the prowl.

Windows: Kleopatra (http://gpg4win.de/download.html)Linux: GnuPG
(https://www.gnupg.org/download/supported_systems.html)
iOS: iPGMail (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ipgmail/id430780873?mt=8)

biow at cubasoldarity.net & biow at riseup.net accounts can be downloaded