[sudo-discuss] 2018/11/15 A quick update about the Asylum Seekers Caravan.

danarauz at gmail.com danarauz at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 02:21:25 PST 2018

Hello All, this a very quick update.
* Donation Status - https://rally.org/asylumseekerscaravan
* New Website - https://asylumseekerscaravan.org/
* Caravan and Jessie's whereabouts.
* Goal Status
* I am going in.

*Donation Status*, out current goal is 15K and so far we have close to 6k.
Please donate and you haven't done it. The website it is here:
https://rally.org/asylumseekerscaravan

*New Website*, this past Sunday I went to the Aaron Swartz Day event at the
Internet Archive in SF. While there I got to see some familiar faces, and
also I met more officially Steve Phillips from Noisebridge. Anyhow, to make
the story short, since I have to go sleep, and wake up early for work,
Steve kindly volunteered to help our group to migrate our just plain html
static website to a WorkPress type, where the public and others group
members can also add content.
Steve and I did an all nighter right after the Aaron's event, working all
night at Noisebridge and going home about 8am. Similar hacker schedule
followed the next two night, which ended in our nice website. Many thanks
Steve. Muy agradecido.

*Jessie* followed the caravan from Mexico City to Queretaro, and then she
returned to Mexico City when she learned that more asylum seekers were
coming. Jessie, been talking and interviewing and learning more about the
situation.

T*he Goal*, which we are very laser focus, is as mentioned on my previous
email and as the donation site mentions, is to provide transportation to as
many we can to women, children, and LGBTQ vulnerable folks. And for what we
have collected in donation, we are about to make the first trip from Mexico
City to Tijuana. As Jessie reports, the situation there is very fluid, so
not only things change moment to moment, but also she has to be very
patience and wait for their choices. But, again, the first trip is this
Sunday. *This weekend.* And the money that we have is only allowing about
60 people. We could offer more, if more folks would donate. The road I have
taken many years ago, and there a very long one, and empty areas and
distance town in between.

Circling back to Jessie, in a way, because she is by herself, someone else
(I am not sure if I can mention his name here) is coming over this
Saturday. And, about half hour ago or so I bought a flight ticket to go
help them both. Three of us will go with asylum seekers all the way to
Tijuana.  I am scheduled to arrive to Mexico City on Saturday morning.  *I
am going in, *and my intention is to team up with the other two in this
task, and at the same time try to document the trip photographing. I am not
sure how long I am going to be there, but the most that I can push it is
until Dec 8. I should be uploading photos at my flickr account, so if you
want to help spread the word, feel free to use those photos, they are
intended to be here: https://flickr.com/danielarauz/sets, as often as it
will possible.

Please, if you haven't donate, please do. We really are using every single
cent to support those in need.

Video:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GB4sbZ9BtA
Also here:
https://asylumseekerscaravan.org/2018/11/14/2018-11-10-jessie-live-heart-breaking/

Thank you, and sinceramente muchas gracias de antemano for your time and
donations.

Daniel
I am available via Signal, Wire, WhatsApp at: 415.336.9143.