[sudo-discuss] new proposal - need input

Jenny Ryan tunabananas at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 18:24:31 PST 2019

The following is a statement collectively written by Omni's Finance Working
Group:

Dear delegates,

It has come to our attention that Oakland Public Education Fund,
<https://www.oaklandedfund.org> GCEA's fiscal sponsor, terminated their
sponsorship agreement on 11/2/18 for breach of contract. We spoke to Ryan
Terada from their accounting department who told us that OPEF sent several
emails to Almaz to inform her that she was not meeting her obligations
under the agreement, but she did not respond. It was noted in her file that
she went into the OPEF office on 11/2 and when she was informed that her
sponsorship was cancelled, she became very upset and stormed out. Ryan
didn't tell us why she was in the office, but we believe it was to deposit
the check for $1000 that GCEA received but was unable to cash (because GCEA
doesn't have its own bank account), nor transfer to Omni.

We also noticed that GCEA is fraudulently claiming on their website
<http://www.globalcommunicationservices.org/about-us/> to be a 501c3
organization, where a fake tax ID number is provided. The number
(81-3599363) does not appear in the IRS database.

We also asked Ryan about the GCEA lease and were told that OPEF doesn't
authorize their sponsored organizations to sign leases. Our lease is with
"GCEA, a fiscally sponsored project of OPEF".  Even though Laura skimmed
the GCEA/OPEF contract and noted to Almaz that she had to run the lease by
OPEF, she never did.

According to Jesse Palmer, our lawyer, since Almaz was not an authorized
signer for OPEF, the GCEA lease is void. This means that GCEA is not
legally a tenant. Since a group must be a tenant or fiscally sponsored
project of Omni Commons to be a member collective, GCEA is not a member
collective. Jesse advised us to send a 3-day eviction notice to both OPEF
and GCEA. He also noted that beyond being a breach of an agreement, not
paying rent owed is simply divisive in collective projects. What tends to
happen is if one party stops paying, then other parties stop and the
structure falls apart.

In light of this new information, we suggest that the latest proposal
submitted by Almaz, Julio, Katrina, and Yar, be modified to focus on what
agreements could be made between GCEA and OC to permit GCEA to become a
member collective, as well as examining our policies and practices to
improve accountability and create a space where more black people and
people of color feel welcome.

- Finance Working Group

--
Jenny

Help open a professional kitchen at the Omni Commons in Oakland!
https://omnicommons.org/kitchen

-Laurie Anderson

 -Hannah Arendt

-Stéphane Mallarmé

"Anything done for the first time unleashes a demon."
--Dave Sim, "Cerebus the Aardvark"