[sudo-sys] Slow internet

Marc Juul juul at labitat.dk
Tue Aug 4 17:36:55 PDT 2015

On Mon, Aug 3, 2015 at 4:53 PM, Marc Juul <juul at labitat.dk> wrote:

> We've been having trouble with our internet.
>
> First we noticed terrible ping times (500 to 1500 ms) and Max B who has
> been running ping monitoring verified that this issue has been coming and
> going since around the beginning of July.
>
> I haven't seen that issue over the past couple of days but we _are_
> getting much less bandwidth than what we're paying for.
>
> I just disconnected everything from the DSL moodel and ran a speedtest
> with my laptop hooked straight into the DSL model and I got about 27
> mbit/sec down and 2 mbit/sec up.
>
> 2 mbit/sec upstream is a problem since we're trying to live-stream cyber
> wizard institute talks in 720p and the audio is dropping out.
>
> I filed a support request with LMI over the phone (no-one picked up).
> Hopefully they'll get back to me soon.
>
> The only thing it could be on our end is the kinda crummy cable we ran
> from the Rise Above room to the server rack. Anyone want to re-run this in
> a less terrible way?

The issues seem to have been fixed. The ISP tech support person just left.
We are now getting 90+ down and 20+ up.

There were multiple issues. He re-did the connections at both ends of our
internal ethernet cable (the one running to the DSL modem), which helped.
Then he disconnected the shitty phone we have connected to the line and
that helped. Apparently it was generating noise on the line. Then he
replaced the phone cable going to the DSL modem from the wall jack next to
the server rack. All of this together got us close to the speed we got when
we were hooked straight into the phone lines in the Rise Above room.

They did recommend that we re-run the cable from Rise Above to our DSL
modem.

I ordered another 1000' roll of cat5e outdoor shielded cable which should
arrive on Friday. Daniel talked about re-running this on Saturday so I will
try to ensure that it is at sudo room before Saturday morning. It's
probably a good idea to ground this cable at both ends. I like to ground
stuff by making a three-prong AC plug that only has the ground wire (though
I know that's not the "professional" way of doing things).

--
marc/juul