Meeting Notes 2013-05-29

From Sudo Room
Jump to: navigation, search

How to use this agenda draft: Please substitute items in [ ] with text for this particular meeting

May 29, 2013

New Action Items

  • Follow up with Andrew on keypad access system (documentation, outreach to other tenants) (Marina)
    • Cubby with the keypad system is marked in sudo
  • Matt remind Tommy to write rent check for George
  • Matt will call LMI to get the lowdown
  • [Postponed] Discussion of new spaces and active searching
  • EVERYBODY: Let's gear up for First Friday and outreach to folks on the streets - music on Broadway, gimmicks on Telegraph, etc;

Attending

  • Jordan, Bill, Matt, Sam, Len, Eddan, Marina, Jenny, Tom, Romy

Introductions

Let's get to know each other! Co-Facilitator: [List Co-Facilitator]

  • Introduction to purpose and format of this meeting

Brief personal intros (< 20 sec per person)

  • [Go-around topic]

Icebreaker (10 min)

  • [Pair/small group discussion on a topic. Ex: What are some ways that you resolve conflicts?]

What would you do in a zombie apocalypse?

Announcements (Consent Agenda)

Use this section to briefly announce and consent to items that need no more details or discussion Co-Facilitator: [List Co-Facilitator] (< 8 minutes)

  • This Sat 6/1 at 2PM: Today I Learned: The Simple Computer!
  • Sunday June 2 @ 7pm - Cleaning of Natural Decay
  • Use http://hackerspaces.crowdmap.com/ (ask Matt for admin access)
    • Tweet any space details @sudoroom
    • Email info@sudoroom.org
  • Interested in more inter-hackerspaces collab? Join Open Hack Night every Monday at 7pm @LOL (1234 23rd Avenue, San Antonio (east Oakland)). LOL is a POC, Queer and Women-organized hackerspace. It is radically inclusive--EVERYONE is a desired member! Their organizers want us to do more stuff at each others' spaces. :] :]
  • Next BACH event: June 15th @ Noisebridge - time?
  • Sudo Bike - ask Matt about borrowing it for a set period of time, or for donations to "Sudo Bike"
  • New internet: Goodbye Sonic, hello LMI!
  • June 22/23: Workshop Weekend! Help organize or teach DIY/makery/hackery/sciencey/arty workshops. - JD and Gil
    • Great way to reach out to kids and families
  • RADIO!!!!
  • Next Writers meeting this Sunday at 4p! Screenwriters' meetup at 5p!
  • ReWrite Oakland this weekend (June 1)
  • Tom's bachelor party July 7th! We're invited! contact Tom @ fitzsnaggle@gmail.com - Live music, beer, dominos!
  • Hayward Hackerspace! - HayHackers! - talk to Matt or Jenny

ACTION ITEMS

Use this section to review old tasks and propose new tasks/topics for discussion. Keep topics brief - if topics are large, they can spillover into later discussion, after-meeting small group discussion, listserv discussion, or next meeting discussion Co-Facilitator: [List Co-Facilitator] (< 30 mins)

Old Business

https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Hack_The_Room

    • Door Access
      • Andrew set up the keypad system and reached out to the Public School (if it doesn't work he will fix it tonight :-) try code 31337)
    • Radio room
    • Meeting format
    • Next steps?
      • What kind of information to publicly display?
      • Buzzer access to other tenants in the building
  • Bitcoin payment mechanism implementation (Romy)
  • Matt will follow up with Tommy re: getting a bank account

Additional items for Sunday hackathon: list of expectations to discuss with landlords, membership management service

Postponed

items here are not for discussion, only for reference for later meetings so that we don't forget about them :)

  • [Postponed] Talk to Danny O'Brien, intro from JC to Jordan, invite him to come to a future sudo meeting to share insight!
    • Straight to the source--but out of the country :( Will be back later this month and Jordan will follow up then.
  • [Postponed until necessary] Eddan - Reference letter from George
  • [Postponed until necessary] Jenny sync with Troy on library - Not yet but they will
  • Set up date for label-printing organizing of stuff event - Jenny!1 -troy
    • still need to set a date
  • [Postponed until someone throws Romy a massive love bomb] Romy to lead diagram for Articles of Association amendment
  • Romy to work with Troy to turn the articles into a flow diagram. Diagrams and drawings of sudo room members being passed around.
  • [Postponed until ?] Add articles to github (gitorious!!!!!!!? - https://gitorious.org/+sudo-room) - Yardena is going to put these articles up

Fiscal Solvency

In this section we review our current financial situation and budget, approve monthly budgets, and discuss any other finance-related issues. Exchequer: Tommy Co-Facilitator: [List Co-Facilitator] (20 mins)

Amendments to the Articles of Association

In this section we discuss and review any proposed amendments to the articles of association: https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Articles_of_Association Co-Facilitator: [List Co-Facilitator]

Conflict Resolution

In this section we address any conflicts that have gone through the conflict resolution process as described here: https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Articles_of_Association#Section_3.2_Conflict_Resolution Co-Facilitator: [List Co-Facilitator]

Spillover!

Add any discussion or other agenda item spillover to this section Co-Facilitator: [List Co-Facilitator]

  • Internet Discussion
    • LMI - same gateway, copper etc just paying LMI instead of Sonic
  • Landlord situation
    • What to do about request to have elevator locked at night?
      • Well, how do we get in?
    • Thank them for all their help and how awesome they are
    • We would love to be better tenants!
    • Update them on the state of the access system
    • Trash/recycling - we need a key for access to the trash
      • George doesn't want to give the key to people because he doesn't trust us to properly sort the trash.
      • We need to be able to access the trash or
    • Suggest requests be made in writing, a little more formalized, because there are often folks in the space he addresses who are new to the community.
    • Suggest a monthly in-person check-in instead!
    • Immediately write down what George requests and forward it along to him and sudo-discuss for confirmation.
  • Continue discussion around membership benefits
    • Probationary period for new members, upon which 24/7 access is granted
    • Let's ship something soon, and its imperfection will enrage those willing to hack on it
  • Publicity Pipeline - how do we have better outreach strategies both for sudo room and for sudo room events?
    • Gwibber
  • Instructables
    • Add 10 instructables, receive free stuff (eg 3D printer)
  • The future of the ex-chequer
  • New exchequer (tasks):
    • Get on bank account
    • Follow up on deposits made
    • Presents budget during meetings
    • Coordinates with scribe to make budget available to all members [transparency]
    • Determine if per-member dues can be reduced
    • Forecasting longer-term budget
  • Exchequer tasks that could easily be done do-acraticly:
    • Coordinate new ways of paying
    • Investigate alternative sources of income
    • Encourage donations
    • Infographics? Coordinate with Romy :D
  • 501(c)3 status and fiscal sponsors:
    • Could for example Noisebridge open up a bank account for us?

Post-Meeting Small Group Meetups and Discussion

Co-Facilitators: YOU! & ?

  • Mapping potential spaces: citizen science spaces, pop-up hackerspaces, etc;

Scribe: Convert notes to wiki page and email the list with a link to the notes page and a succinct list of highlights (including action items).