Meeting Notes 2013-06-26
Check out the Meeting archives here: https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Meeting_Minutes How to use this agenda draft: Please substitute items in [ ] with text for this particular meeting June 26 2013
- 1 Attending
- 2 Introductions
- 3 Announcements (Consent Agenda)
- 4 ACTION ITEMS
- 5 Fiscal Solvency
- 6 Amendments to the Articles of Association
- 7 Conflict Resolution
- 8 Discussion
- 9 Post-Meeting Small Group Meetups and Discussion
- jenny, substack, len, patrick, sam, patrick, timon, daniel, marina
Let's get to know each other! Co-Facilitator: [List Co-Facilitator]
- Introduction to purpose and format of this meeting
Brief personal intros (< 20 sec per person)
- [Go-around topic]
Icebreaker (10 min)
- [Pair/small group discussion on a topic.]
Announcements (Consent Agenda)
Use this section to briefly announce and consent to items that need no more details or discussion Co-Facilitator: [List Co-Facilitator] (< 8 minutes)
- Sudo Kids:
- Want more coordinators!
- Brainstorm different activities, with the kids on Tuesdays, while cooking
- Sam, Timon, Patrick, Marina, Ray
- Will potentially need another night of the week due to changes in schedule :(
- Public School movie nights [every other?] Tuesday, perhaps staggering Tuesdays twice a month and maybe Mondays w/ musical instruments!!
- Outdoor portion of Sudo Kids this Sunday at Hearth house in West Oak. Come play with ducks and construct things!
- Sudo-POSSE Party in cooperation with BACE Timebank. Planning Potluck this Friday from 7-9pm!
- 3rd Fridays avalable? First one in July. (Potluck Orientation Skillshare Swapmeet Event)- Lets invite public school, democracy project, oakland-wiki for a Meta Networking Event?
- Cleaning of Natural Decay - Move to Wednesday nights?
- Found a potential new location? Use http://hackerspaces.crowdmap.com/ (ask Matt for admin access)
- Tweet any space details @sudoroom
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Interested in more inter-hackerspaces collab? Join Open Hack Night every Monday at 7pm @LOL (1234 23rd Avenue, San Antonio (east Oakland)). LOL is a POC, Queer and Women-organized hackerspace. It is radically inclusive--EVERYONE is a desired member! Their organizers want us to do more stuff at each others' spaces.
- Next BACH Event: Third Saturdays, next is 7/20, 6pm at Hacker Dojo - http://ba.chgrp.org
- Sudo Bike - ask Matt about borrowing it for a set period of time, or for donations to "Sudo Bike"
- Every Thurs. at 7PM: Oakland Wiki meetup! http://www.oaklandwiki.org
- Every Thurs. at 8:30pm: Mesh Networking meetup: http://sudoroom.org/wiki/Mesh
- sign up for a slot at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ApmrUsz7z5DodDVaZnJ4TW1ndC1jd1ZYejFhUmRoWXc#gid=0
- contact marina for training, or test out the documentation: https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Sudo_Radio
Use this section to review old tasks and propose new tasks. Keep topics brief - if topics are large, they can spillover into later discussion, after-meeting small group discussion, listserv discussion, or next meeting discussion Co-Facilitator: [List Co-Facilitator] (< 30 mins)
Old Action Items
- Door Access: Current status and next steps
- Document process for editing access codes & whether it's possible to have temporary access codes (Andrew) - Marina will follow up with Andrew
- state of the camera - web access, recording, access to camera computer
- Has a local drive storing video, needs to make a remote setup
- Ray will spearhead putting together curriculum for youth in the community - Bill suggests a workshop on security
- DONE: Jenny will start a spreadsheet for churches, schools, and other community groups that we can do outreach to for people to sign up to meet with specific organizations: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ao_Q7DQvNFT-dEdhZUJaQ3dDY2plMjMxR3BNNmJuRlE&usp=sharing
- POSTPONED - Tim will share the map of potential properties available for purchase.
- POSTPONOED - Jenny to call bank to find out about online access
- EVERYONE: CLEAN and encourage others to clean! Model good behavior and suggest cleaning to other people. It is our responsibility to help everyone in our community grow in their ability to act cooperatively :D
New Action Items
- points brought up in Perimeter Security Document (emailed @sudo-discuss and available at http://faustsstudy.blogspot.com/2013/06/sudoroom-perimeter-security.html
- The Overhead Light In The Entryway - Timon will notify George
- The Trees Across The Street
- the parking deck next door
- The Intersection Of 22nd & Broadway --- (has been fixed)
- the coordination of a call-in campaign if necessary
- This is awesome! Thank you!
- Add calendar [2141broadway.wordpress.com] to Infobot's screensaver [Max]
- Update calendar for common space [Jenny]
- Update events protocol: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1fyHwH-O_tMEW3c01HvHbmAHDqj6aD2DSDmpdtM_DfKg/edit?usp=sharing
- Regular check-in between The Public School and Sudo Room - Thursday evening Supper Club potlucks starting at 6
- Ask Ryan to put up the logo designs on the wiki [Jenny]
- SpaceAPI to indicate space open/closed [Jenny talk to Andrew]
items here are not for discussion, only for reference for later meetings so that we don't forget about them :)
- Add robots.txt for sudo room (open item for anyone to take on) MATT (out of town)
[Postponed] Talk to Danny O'Brien, intro from JC to Jordan, invite him to come to a future sudo meeting to share insight!
- Straight to the source--but out of the country :( Will be back later this month and Jordan will follow up then.
- [Postponed until necessary] Eddan - Reference letter from George
- [Postponed until necessary] Jenny sync with Troy on library - Not yet but they will
- Set up date for label-printing organizing of stuff event - Jenny!1 -troy
- still need to set a date
- [Postponed until someone throws Romy a massive love bomb] Romy to lead diagram for Articles of Association amendment
- Romy to work with Troy to turn the articles into a flow diagram. Diagrams and drawings of sudo room members being passed around.
- [Postponed until ?] Add articles to github (gitorious!!!!!!!? - https://gitorious.org/+sudo-room) - Yardena is going to put these articles up
In this section we review our current financial situation and budget, approve monthly budgets, and discuss any other finance-related issues. Exchequer: We need a new exchequer Co-Facilitator:
- Setting up co-exchequers
- The future of the ex-chequer (items suggested from 5/29 meeting):
- New exchequer (tasks):
- Get on bank account
- Follow up on deposits made
- Presents budget during meetings
- Coordinates with scribe to make budget available to all members [transparency]
- Determine if per-member dues can be reduced
- Forecasting longer-term budget
- Exchequer tasks that could easily be done do-acraticly:
- Coordinate new ways of paying
- Investigate alternative sources of income
- Encourage donations
- Infographics? Coordinate with Romy :D
- Bank Links
- Documentation: https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Sudo_room/banking (out of date?)
- Update information about login to bank (might make this private)
- New exchequer (tasks):
- Pay your dues :)
- Review and consensus process:
- Fiscal Solvency Spreadsheet - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AlKk2X9KKqlFdFZJUy12x3ZUhDUmx2N3hUZldyejlXdFE#gid=7
- Rent: $1500; Utilities: $220; Services: $50
- Target membership contribution: $88 per member (based on approx. 30 people)
Amendments to the Articles of Association
In this section we discuss and review any proposed amendments to the articles of association: https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Articles_of_Association Co-Facilitator: [List Co-Facilitator]
In this section we address any conflicts that have gone through the conflict resolution process as described here: https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Articles_of_Association#Section_3.2_Conflict_Resolution Co-Facilitator: [List Co-Facilitator] Test Driven Governance: https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Governance_tests
Add any discussion or other agenda item spillover to this section Co-Facilitator: [List Co-Facilitator]
- Discussion of Common Space coordination and communication channels [Micaela]
- Michaela has made an awesome website for coordinating the common space: http://2141broadway.wordpress.com/
- We decided to have a regular check-in between Public School and Sudo Room, First Thursdays Supper Club starting at 6pm.
- Library System - shared between sudo room
- Max has begun setting it up!
- The Summer Sudo Sparseness
- Jenny started an Outreach spreadsheet - please add to it and sign up to make contact, drop off fliers, etc!
- Paper calendars?
- Does summer hackerspacing have a repelling effect on folks?
- Field trips and outdoor excursions
- Saturday night dance parties
- [Possibly postponed] Landlord situation
- Update them on the state of the access system
- Trash/recycling - we need a key for access to the trash
- George doesn't want to give the key to people because he doesn't trust us to properly sort the trash.
- We need to be able to access the trash.
- Suggest requests be made in writing, a little more formalized, because there are often folks in the space he addresses who are new to the community.
- Suggest a monthly in-person check-in instead!
- Immediately write down what George requests and forward it along to him and sudo-discuss for confirmation.
- [possibly postponed] discussion around membership benefits https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Membership_Benefits_Discussion (has infographic)
- Probationary period for new members, upon which 24/7 access is granted
- Let's ship something soon, and its imperfection will enrage those willing to hack on it =)
- [[possibly postponed]Publicity Pipeline - how do we have better outreach strategies both for sudo room and for sudo room events?
- 501(c)3 status and fiscal sponsors:
- Could for example Noisebridge open up a bank account for us? https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/501c3app
- Membership management system
- Andrew set up the keypad system and reached out to the Public School (if it doesn't work he will fix it tonight :-) try code 31337)
- What kind of information to publicly display?
- Buzzer access to other tenants in the building
- Bitcoin payment mechanism implementation (Romy)
- Funding ideas
- Current list here: https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Funding_Ideas
- People were reminded to add their names next to projects they were interested in, unclear how many did so.
- Next steps?
- Membership & Access Discussion: who is a member? what are the benefits of membership? how is membership related to access?
- Articles of Association on member benefits: https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Articles_of_Association#Section_2.3_Benefits
- Made staggered wepay system, seeking feedback/improvements: https://www.wepay.com/donations/sudo-room
- Summary of possible membership benefits structures: https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Membership_Benefits_Discussion
- Straw poll on membership and access: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1zCaEAVVjLwMrWcoPlGb09-G6bvaaiewi33FTz3OBptE/viewform
Post-Meeting Small Group Meetups and Discussion
Co-Facilitators: YOU! & ?
Scribe: Convert notes to wiki page and email the list with a link to the notes page and a succinct list of highlights (including action items).